Draining 4Stroke engine oil

Yamama

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Anyone got a simple trick or use a product which catches the engine oil when draining a 4 stroke. I make a big mess every time I do it. What I really need is some sort of bucket that can hang off the back of the upper engine near the flexible drain tube.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yamaha Oil changing

I would like to change the oil this season with the boat in the water. Can the oil be pumped out of the engine? Possibly using the dipstick?

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Oil drain

I use the Tempo fluid extractor. It works great and made for the dip stick. It will hold all the oil and will drain in about 15 minutes. I have been using since 2002 with my four bangers and it is the best out there. It cost about $59.00 or so and will last a long time. Dont waste your money on the electric or drill pumps, this unit does the job very effectively.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I use the same extractor and it does the job. I always pump all I can then drain the last little bit from the drain plug.

You can change the oil in the water, but since the lower unit needs to be changed at the same time I always pull my boat out and do them together.

I bought a roll of this stuff http://www.newpig.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... _-1_106085

and it is great to put down so you don't spill anything in the parking lot. My marina is helping me out by letting me work on the boat there and I don't want to lose my privleges. It also helps catch any oil that may spill when you remove the oil filter.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Oil

I change the engine oil every 50 hours, so i do it in the water through the dip stick. When I pull the boat at the end of the season I use the drain plug and do the lower unit oil. I don't pull the boat mid season for the oil, too costly.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I change mine in the water using the dip stick. At first I used the manual pump but found it took too lond and the one I used leaked so I spent the extra cash and got the electric one/ It works quick and is very neat. It was a good investment for me as I use it on the mower, lawn tractor, snow blower etc.
I still get a mess when I take off the filter - does anyone have a trick or suggestion on how to remove the filter without having oil leaking onto the boat?

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Legend said:
I change mine in the water using the dip stick. At first I used the manual pump but found it took too lond and the one I used leaked so I spent the extra cash and got the electric one/ It works quick and is very neat. It was a good investment for me as I use it on the mower, lawn tractor, snow blower etc.
I still get a mess when I take off the filter - does anyone have a trick or suggestion on how to remove the filter without having oil leaking onto the boat?
Have you tried putting a plastic bag over the filter before you loosen it?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Andy at SIM has a pump kit for the Yamaha's. And he has one for lower unit lube too. Just give him a call.

If you tilt the engine up all the way it's pretty easy to catch the drain oil from the filter.

BTW, oem filters ONLY!!

go fish

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
The Tempo extractor works great. I keep my boat on a lift and change the lower unit oil by using a skiff to get there and a garbage bag to catch the oil and prevent the wind from blowing the oil in the water.

Little Buddy

Reaction score
You may try poking a hole in the bottom of the filter with an awl before removing to make it easier to catch the oil. If you use the nitrile disposable gloves, you can get a grip on the filter to remove and then slip the glove off and stuff the filter into it all in one move.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Little Buddy said:
You may try poking a hole in the bottom of the filter with an awl before removing to make it easier to catch the oil. If you use the nitrile disposable gloves, you can get a grip on the filter to remove and then slip the glove off and stuff the filter into it all in one move.
That sound like a good idea I will try the hole in the filter solution. That should help drain the majority of the oil. You would think they could have come up with a more convenient location during the design phase

Yamama

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Well, I went out and bought the Moeller oil extractor today. Holy crap....that is So much better than draining from the bolt hole!.

Thank you all for enlightening me!

jethro99

Reaction score
Your motor sounds like an F115 or F150. Here is a tip for those that don't have the extractor.

Tilt the motor to the full up position. Remove the drain plug. No oil will come out.

Place a bucket under rubber guide tube. Holding the bucket in one hand and with the other hand trim the motor to the full down position while keeping the bucket in place. You should not spill a drop. OK, maybe a drop while you are replacing the drain plug.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am fairly certain you should not be extracting oil with the motor up, I believe not all of it will come out, making it pointless to do in the water this way, using the extractor will take out just as much oil and will be much cleaner and safer, not to mention the fines you could get while dumping into something floating....yikes.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I bought a Pela 6000 oil extractor to use on the Yamaha F250, golf cart, lawn mower, truck etc. It works very well. It holds 6.34 Qts and can be ordered online from jerrybleach.com for $45.99. They are located in Cheraw, SC and are very friendly to deal with.

jethro99

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
I am fairly certain you should not be extracting oil with the motor up, I believe not all of it will come out, making it pointless to do in the water this way, using the extractor will take out just as much oil and will be much cleaner and safer, not to mention the fines you could get while dumping into something floating....yikes.

Who in their right mind would ever think of extracting oil with the motor in the UP position?

Hoghunter

Reaction score
Yamaha actually recommends the use of a pump and extracting the oil through the dipstick tube. They also state to check/change with engine level and not tilted.

I bought a unit many year's ago that consists of a vacuum pump motor mounted on the top of a 5 gallon propane canister. Works great pump the oil out of the motor, reverse the hose and pump it into a disposal bin.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I actually save a step by pumping the oil directly into a disposal container. It is a very clean way to drain the oil

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
yes

i always use the drain plug, you always get it all out, the dip stick does not go all the way to the bottom sump

i use a trans mission funnel, then a bungy cord to wrap around the mid section

u need to watch the bolt, just before it breaks loose i grab it

I made a mess one time when the bolt fell into the funnel, lol

now i have a catch screen in there