Draining the Drive bracket

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had the boat pulled and I'm going down to check it out. I had read some things about checking the bracket for water intrusion and just wanted some input as its all new to me. I assume there is some plug on the bottom that is evident. Any gasket on it or should any type of sealant be applied when re installing? First time for me so any tips are appreciated.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Unthread it out, don't use multipoint closed end, use open end tight fitting wrench - may have to select metric to be snug. Use teflon tape on redo. They also make square shape wrenched for these plugs.

Plug should be aluminum.

Place empty 5 gallon bucket and collect water if any and monitor change season to season.
Can use inches of water in bucket as units.

Some water is ok.

Inspect surface for galvanic damage, if any found minor - strip all bottom paint and redo with Trilux. Otherwise use trilux or equal only, paint over onto hull.

Grady678

Reaction score
Buy the plug and gasket from the manufacturer of the bracket. If they send you a plastic one.....order 3 because you will over tighten and break the first 2. Happened every year with me on my Gulfstream.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Then get it from Armstrong.

Even if plastic (PVC) or ABS, should not break, are you applying too much force? How long is wrench handle you are using? Just snug it up, under very little pressure.

The Depot sells same size fittings in PVC and steel.
I have Springfield Drive.

Armstrong started in 1993.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
bayrat said:
Thanks for the quick replies. So, NOT ok to re use the plug that I remove?

i always reused my plug on the 232. like grady678, i bought a few as spares. actually only broke one the first time it did it - fool me once ??? :D

i filled the "hole" in the nut with 5200 for strength.

remove it, clean it up and grease it well with marine grease. i also popped the o-ring and cleaned and greased that. retighten hand tight only and you should be good to go. ron

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Went down to the boat today to check the bracket for water. I figured Id check the access plate first. As soon as I started to open the first screw, I heard air hissing out. I stopped and tightened it back up. I'm figuring that if its holding air like a vacuum, then NOTHING is getting in or out so there should be no water in there either. Does this sound right or am I missing something?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
no vacuum. it's just air that expands with the temp. or it could be air compressed because water is in the bracket. you should remove the drain plug and drain anything in there. i actually sealed up my access plate with silicone to make sure water doesn't leak down into the bracket. ron

rml2112

Reaction score
I Have a Gil Bracket on My Seafarer 228 , I busted the plastic drain plug and the only place I found to buy one was from a Grady White Dealer
for About $35.00 .
I have sealed the inspection plate and have not had any water intrusion.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
rml2112 said:
I Have a Gil Bracket on My Seafarer 228 , I busted the plastic drain plug and the only place I found to buy one was from a Grady White Dealer
for About $35.00 .
I have sealed the inspection plate and have not had any water intrusion.

if i remember correctly, they were $15 a pop from Gil.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just went online to see about getting a few spare plastic plugs from GIL and found the following on a marine parts site:

"Gil is no longer in Business. WE now stock Armstrong Outboard Brackets."
Maybe that's why Grady is charging $35 ? I hope there are some alternatives.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
bayrat said:
I just went online to see about getting a few spare plastic plugs from GIL and found the following on a marine parts site:

"Gil is no longer in Business. WE now stock Armstrong Outboard Brackets."
Maybe that's why Grady is charging $35 ? I hope there are some alternatives.

actually, you now have enough information to know NOT to break it :mrgreen: .

carefully unscrew it with an adjustable wrench (not a channel loc) with minimal effort - and remember that you are working upside down, don't turn the wrong way. clean it and reseat it like i said above - the grease is real important. if it is the one with a hollow area in the "nut", fill it with 5200 and let it set before you unscrew it. like i said, i only broke the first one (on the first spring relaunch). i traded my boat in last year and gave the dealer the extra 2 plugs. ron

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
On our 228 the aluminum plug is seized up. I tried heat and big wrenchs and it wont budge. It is an aluminum plug and I suspect that it has not been out since the boat was new. I drilled a hole in it so water could drain out and will be trying to drill it out completely one of these days. I am not sure the thread size but picked up what looked close at west marine for $1.25 in plastic. The bracket has the big hunk of foam in it so I dont even worry about water in it much when out on the gulf. In fact I dont even have the cover over the acess hole on top. Seems to ride just fine and the scuppers are above the water line. When I put it back on the trailer the water drains out of the drilled hole. It has been this way all summer since I spent most of my spare time fishing and fixing things that were more important.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
.. and fixing things that were more important.

Tell me you only operate in fresh water. I can't imagine anyone being satisfied to have salt water routinely sloshing around inside a closed bracket, but to each his own ... :sorry

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Every drain plug I have seen has been 1/2"NPT. On the original bracket, 1 plug was corroded so bad it was never coming out, luckily I had 2 plugs. Now with the new bracket it's a non issue. On an Aluminum bracket where the bracket itself is tapped, you're better off using PVC plugs. It will not cause corrosion and if it does get stuck it's softer than the bracket so you don't wind up screwing up the bracket threads. Use whatever you want to lubricate the threads (paste, tape, grease,...) and get it good and snug, that's all you need.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ElyseM said:
bayrat said:
Thanks for the quick replies. So, NOT ok to re use the plug that I remove?

i always reused my plug on the 232. like grady678, i bought a few as spares. actually only broke one the first time it did it - fool me once ??? :D

i filled the "hole" in the nut with 5200 for strength.

remove it, clean it up and grease it well with marine grease. i also popped the o-ring and cleaned and greased that. retighten hand tight only and you should be good to go. ron

Did it your way and it was easy. It was the plastic fitting and I actually didn't wreck it. No water in the drive so I greased it up and put it in hand tight..thanks again

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
glad to help. keep up the annual maintenance and you should be good. you might want to dig up a spare since sooner or later it will deteriorate from being in the water. ron