Dream to retire with my boat and fish....

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I'm a little way off to retirement, but I'm starting to dream. I live in Southern California, a 1+ hour to get to the ocean. I like my boat and I love being on the water. If you had a choice to live in a great fishing location in the USA, where would you go? I'm thinking Florida (Atlantic or Gulf?) or Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, or the Carolinas/Georgia. I like to fish tuna, dorado, and others.
A lot of options. I'm curious what others experiences are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catchmydrift

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
we lucked into fort pierce/north hutchison island. 4 miles by boat to very manageable inlet, western wall of gulf stream is 10 to 13 miles out on average. good fishing i am sure you can do better but we love it

Reactions: coldpizza

HMBJack

Reaction score
I've been retired now for 6 years. Live in Half Moon Bay, CA. Rockfish is open 9 months a year and is very good here. Salmon is open 6 months a year and also very good. Dungeness Crab is awesome in November and December. We also run for Albacore in August and Sept. And the Blue Fin are showing up more and more each year. Home prices start at about $1M. Slip prices are a reasonable $10 per foot per month. I have roots in HMB, but if I were planning retirement, I'd be looking to exit California. Just sayin...

Pighunter

Reaction score
Tough question wife and I live in Sonoma county Ca. We have 14 acres in northern Wa. on the Canadian border. We always thought we would build and retire thier but it's 5 hours from the coast. For me its got to be the pcific north west waters.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I can only help halfway. I don't fish, so I know nothing about that.

Retirement? Now 'ya talkin'. I can assist with that on many levels.

1.) It will grow on you. I was never the kind that got bored and needed a part-time job to keep from going nuts. I love having little to no commitments.

2.) Location-wise:

Anywhere South of the Mason/Dixon Line. Get away from cold weather.
I would avoid the Panhandle of Fla, LA, Miss or N. Texas. (Reference the 2020 Hurricane Season..it's almost Nov and Zeta is progged to hit on or around Louisiana Wed.)

We live on the Gulf Coast of Fla. We prefer it to the faster paced and busier East Coast. Plus, the Gulf is calmer on a regular basis than the Atlantic, allowing you more comfortable fishing days. (Knowing nothing about fishing, I don't know what's different to catch in the Atlantic than the Gulf. There are fish in both basins...)

Your Gulfstream will do well on the Gulf Coast. I had one for 10 years. Pick your days and be prepared for tight wind chop as opposed to the ocean swell off California. Anything over 2 footers is uncomfortable in a Gulfstream. In the summer months, the winds are light E SE & NE in the mornings followed by afternoon onshore sea breezes. The collision of the Gulf & Atlantic seabreeze boundaries create the afternoon & evening thunderstorms that Fla is famous for. Most of the summer months, the Gulf is relatively calm and inviting for offshore runs.

Then there's the winter....

The winds blow much stronger as cold fronts punch all the way thru to Cuba and bring days of NW to NE winds post-passage. There are good days, but much less frequent than in the summer months.

If you don't do 90- degrees and stifling humidity, re-consider Florida. We don't care, but others can't take it. Maybe the Carolinas??

These are great problems to have.. Luck to "Ya!

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks for info from you all. I'm 7 years + before retirement will start but thinking about it more and more. Seriously looking outside of California.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As others said, Keys are hard to beat.

My folks retired to Naples, so I am used to going there. My only added suggestion is spend some time there first. You won't believe what an impact humidity, mosquitos, and houseflies might have on you until you take her for a spin.

There is a reason West Coast peeps usually stay put.

ISLANDER 38

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Been retired 5 years,down sized from flybridge to 33 Grady Express, fish every day weather permitting out of Lake Worth inlet, short run to the Stream , BAHAMAS , or spend a few days in the Keys, LIFE IS GOOD !

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If your a West Coast guy your probably ok in Southern California into Mexico (if your comfortable there).

I'm a East Coast guy who has spent time in South Florida for 25+ years every Winter. Last 15 have been in the Upper Keys - Islamorada to Marathon. Fishing is very good and runs are short. Healthcare is reasonably accessible in Miami from Marathon North. I have had a boat in Pompano and Singer Island but the Keys is a more "island" experience vs. Palm Beach or Lauderdale. Conversely there isn't much to do in the keys except fishing, eating and drinking - not that there is anything wrong with that...

One the right conditions the Bahamas are very accessible for small boats and there may be GW club flotillas to make the crossing and causing safer.

Last edited:

Otselic09

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
You probably wouldn't move to NY , but the East End of Long Island from Moriches Bay to Montauk Point probably has the best fishing in America. The worst fisherman in the world could fill up a barrel with fish. Especially Montauk . Montauk is very close to the cold Labrador currents in the North and also close to the Gulf Stream currents and you can catch warm water species like Yellowfin Tuna , Dorado during the summer/Fall and scoot over 15 miles or so and catch cold weather Cod the same day. White Sharks migrate every year up North from the South every year and The Female White Sharks give birth in Peconic Bay ( Eastern LI) . They choose to give birth there because the area ( Eastern LI ) has incredible amounts of fish for the Baby White Sharks to feed on. The Baby Sharks spend their first 20 years off Long Island and then join their older sharks off Cape Cod. Scientists recently discovered the White shark Breeding site off the Island and CBS Morning News had a special on it. It's on
You Tube .When you get off the Airplane in NYC the last thing you think about is the great fishing 2 hours away. Try it if you ever come to NY. And it probably has more Deer than any county in NY and fantastic hunting as well.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Florida is the best choice for all around fishing. You have bass fishing in the lakes, you have river fishing on great rivers, you have the Keys, offshore East Coast, Flamingo and the whole West Coast Florida bay.

Otselic09

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I think NY is just as good or better. NY is on 2 Great Lakes and Salmon and Trout fishing has been spectacular , big 30 Pound Salmon and Trout . Big runs of Salmon in the Salmon river , imagine catching a 30 pound King Salmon fishing in 5 feet of water or less. The Finger Lakes in Central NY , Thousands of Lakes in the Adirondacks , the Catskills , Beautiful Lake George and Big Long Rivers that flow for 100 miles or more filled with Trout , Lake Champlain, The St. Lawrence River and all it's Islands And 125 miles of Long Island.NY is almost completely surrunded by water except along the PA. border . The Hudson River on the Eastern side of NY is pretty close to the Border on the other side. NY is a Sportsmans paradise .

Last edited:
Reactions: gradydaniele

Macrophylla

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I'm partial to the Carolina's myself, four seasons but not the extremes of any of them. Great fishing (salt and fresh), waterfront house/communities in any price range from about $400k up (lower prices you'll be back in the communities on the western sides of the sounds), reasonable property tax rates. Good healthcare on the coast, with fantastic hospitals inland. Hurricanes can be an issue but manageable. Tons of things to do by boat even when you aren't fishing.

If Florida could get the June-August humidity under control I'd probably move there but I find it absolutely miserable to do anything outside in those conditions. NC has a few days in August that are equally brutal but its days, not weeks on end.

Reactions: magicalbill

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Retire where you can see the sunrise, drink with friends, fish whether you catch or not and be happy.
That just means the world is your oyster and all ya have to do is go chase oysters ;)

R

Carl

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
For me its Sandspit in the Queen Charlotte Islands. Spring salmon year round. ling cod, rockfish, halibut,crabs, prawns,and all winter there are lots of big steelhead in the rivers. You can catch trout at will in the lakes and are allowed 15 deer a year . Deer season is 10 months long. The town is on its own island and has 300 people. I could go on and on love this place.

Reactions: RussGW270