Drift socks

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Anyone use a drift sock? If so what size sock for what size boat are you using?
Any recommendation on brands or types (I dont know much but think there are ones that make it easier to retrieve by collapsing the sock.
Any tips for use?
Many thanks.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What are you fishing for and what size boat do you have?

I use them all the time drifting for catfish on Santee and we've used them some on Lake Erie.

I've got 3 different sizes depending on wind. I usually pull 2, but on occasion, I have a bridle made up to pull one in the center. This is on my 228 Seafarer.

My Sheltie napping on middle sized one while helping me in the garage.

20170807_235044.jpg20170807_232213.jpg20170218_150159.jpg

Last edited:

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Those are some serious drift socks!
I have a 208, I fish for striped bass and fluke mostly, hoping to use the drift sock for fluke fishing in the long island sound, the wind sometime makes it hard to get a decent drift speed (wind v. Tide).

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm trying to stay around .6-.8, drifting for the big cats. The Blacks are huge and when I'm pulling both, its a windy day on the pond. I'll have to look tonight for the names. Blues, I think are Drift Control and Blacks are Cabela's brand. I don't even pull the yellows anymore, single blue on bridle does the same thing as 2 yellows. Blacks have a center collapse line, Blues, I just pull in till I can get a hold of the side, then dump them. I could probably add a dump cord to the blues, but never have.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I'm trying to stay around .6-.8, drifting for the big cats. The Blacks are huge and when I'm pulling both, its a windy day on the pond. I'll have to look tonight for the names. Blues, I think are Drift Control and Blacks are Cabela's brand. I don't even pull the yellows anymore, single blue on bridle does the same thing as 2 yellows. Blacks have a center collapse line, Blues, I just pull in till I can get a hold of the side, then dump them. I could probably add a dump cord to the blues, but never have.
Thanks for the info, I will take a look and see what I can find (I am usually looking for about 1 knot) but had been looking at smaller and cheaper socks. Will update once I buy one and try it out.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The Drift Control are good socks. I've had mine for years. The key to longevity is to hang them up and let dry before storing them away.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have one about the size of the yellow ones pictured above. It is more "rubberized" vinyl & cloth. Used it on a 20 footer a few times drifting in a stiff breeze for fluke. Just never got into the habit of using it.
Kept it onboard for an emergency sea anchor to keep bow into wind if lost power. Its tucked down in a cubby in the 265 cabin now for that odd day when I might try it.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
imjus,,,, The yellow ones are Jim-Buoy brand and are rubberized coated nylon 30", the blues are the Drift Control brand, nylon, 60", the blacks are Cabelas brand, heavy nylon, 78".

The yellow and blues I used on my Lowe 19 deep V aluminum, then I bought a bigger boat and used them on my Bayliner Trophy 2002. When I moved up in boat size to a Seaswirl Striper 2301, I bought the big Cabela's socks. With the Grady, I'm only using the blues and blacks since I've made the bridle to pull a single, I don't use the yellows. I pull mine from the rear tie downs, been doing it for 30 years, just easier to get to to retrieve than along the side for me. I'm used to fishing around them, I'll either bring the fish in up the middle or on the outside, can't remember the last time I had a fish get into the socks.

Hope that helps

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
imjus,,,, The yellow ones are Jim-Buoy brand and are rubberized coated nylon 30", the blues are the Drift Control brand, nylon, 60", the blacks are Cabelas brand, heavy nylon, 78".

The yellow and blues I used on my Lowe 19 deep V aluminum, then I bought a bigger boat and used them on my Bayliner Trophy 2002. When I moved up in boat size to a Seaswirl Striper 2301, I bought the big Cabela's socks. With the Grady, I'm only using the blues and blacks since I've made the bridle to pull a single, I don't use the yellows. I pull mine from the rear tie downs, been doing it for 30 years, just easier to get to to retrieve than along the side for me. I'm used to fishing around them, I'll either bring the fish in up the middle or on the outside, can't remember the last time I had a fish get into the socks.

Hope that helps
I decided to go with a

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I decided to go with a 54" drift control ($31 bucks on amazon seemed like a good deal, smaller and bigger sizes were more expensive), it is rubberized and seams well made - hope conditions dont require it, but heading out Friday and will prob see what it does. Many thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190611-214645_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190611-214645_Chrome.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 13