Drilling a drain in a compartment

Pogigod

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have a 1987 overnighter. The compartment between the driver and passenger seat keeps filling up with water and is the only compartment that doesn't have a drain. I have no idea what is under it. Does anyone know anything about it? It sounds hallow underneath when knocking on it.

Or should I look into some kind of way to deal the compartment from rain and water? I want to store things in it, but don't want stagnant water in there.

GWL139

Reaction score
Website
www.jerseycapeyachtsales.com
Model
Gulfstream
Can you post some pics? Not quite sure what you mean by "compartment between the seats". Both helm seats should be mounted atop of individual "boxes" with a walk-through space in between. The port side should have a drawer unit which opens into the walk-through, and the starboard side should have tackle storage which opens to the rear...

Pogigod

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Can you post some pics? Not quite sure what you mean by "compartment between the seats". Both helm seats should be mounted atop of individual "boxes" with a walk-through space in between. The port side should have a drawer unit which opens into the walk-through, and the starboard side should have tackle storage which opens to the rear...

Here it is, this is water from just power washing and cleaning the boat.

Image was to large to upload

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don’t have that compartment on my 24 offshore, but I’m thinking if you drill a hole in the bottom it may drop the water into the gas tank compartment which is not where you want it. Maybe add a small drain with a small hose into the forward bilge. Not sure if you may have to add a pie plate on the cabin wall for access to the back of the drain. For easy plumbing.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Had the exact same year boat and model. Mine had a drain but was essentially a hole to the bilge. There is nothing under it but the v of the boat about 5” below it. Go to your local marina and pick up a plastic drain and get a hole saw to match.
This the only pic I have but mine was the 206 model and I put the two batteries up there for weight distribution because of the bracket. I also drilled a 4” deck plate in there to clear the pvc drain that runs under the gas tank compartment draining the front bilge. If you look kinda cLose enough below the deck plate u can kinda see the factory drain scupper in there.

Attachments

• 0B619FA1-3AC4-4CA4-90D9-0E787ABE5963.jpeg
    0B619FA1-3AC4-4CA4-90D9-0E787ABE5963.jpeg
    779.1 KB · Views: 27

Pogigod

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Had the exact same year boat and model. Mine had a drain but was essentially a hole to the bilge. There is nothing under it but the v of the boat about 5” below it. Go to your local marina and pick up a plastic drain and get a hole saw to match.
This the only pic I have but mine was the 206 model and I put the two batteries up there for weight distribution because of the bracket. I also drilled a 4” deck plate in there to clear the pvc drain that runs under the gas tank compartment draining the front bilge. If you look kinda cLose enough below the deck plate u can kinda see the factory drain scupper in there.

Thanks for that info, that's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I just didn't know what is down there and no way of me seeing without taking the entire floor up.

That's not a bad idea to move the batteries up there. I converted a 120q cooler into a livewell/bench seat in-between the engine seats. That really has put a lot of wait in the back.