Drilling holes through T-Top Sunbrella fabric?

jdsmith

Reaction score
Has anyone ever drilled holes through the sunbrella fabric that covers a soft T-top? I want to mount outrigger holders through the T-Top plates, but am concerned whether the fabric will tear when I drill holes for the bolts and holder. The holders I bought have a rubber gasket that surrounds the entire bottom plate and I know I can draw it down tight to the T-Top plate which hopefully wil prevent the fabric from tearing. Any suggestions?

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I did it on my 29 Blackfin, to mount the radar scanner. I marked the bolt holes, and then placed a thin bead of 5200 fast cure around each one on the fabric.. When the 5200 cured, I took an Exacto razor-knife and cut each hole through the fabric, then proceded to drill the metal frame. If you have a piece of metal tubing the diameter of the bolts, griind a cutting edge on one end of the tubing, and with backing block, punch each hole in the fabric.

I had a flashback from many years ago when I was installing a floor-mounted hold-up switch in a brand-new retail store. The carpet was glued to the concrete pad, and when I took my masonry bit to drill the holes for the plastic anchors, the bit caught the fabric and wrapped it around the bit, pulling it right out of the carpet before I could stop the drill. I made a run in the carpet about 6' long. :shock: The owner wasn't amused.

Better safe than sorry.

deltarome

Reaction score
sunbrella holes

Sunbrella is a synthetic fabric and melts when exposed to flame or heat above 350F.
Best part of this is that it self seals the edges of the hole. Try it on a corner where extra fabric might be available on the folded side.
A soldering iron might do the trick if you are afraid of a flame.

toolguy73

Reaction score
There's a tool set out there called a gasket punch set.

It consists of a drive rod you hit with a hammer, and changeable cutting tips to make different sized holes.

Pick your hole size, put it on the rod, back up your Sunbrella with a piece of 3/8 or 1/2" plywood under it, and whack it.

They work very well, and have other uses, too.

And they're not expensive.