Drop in trays or boxes under aft seats

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am looking for drop in boxes or trays that fit under the aft seats on my 1988 Seafarer 228. Any advice on where to find? approximate dimensions are 11"x 16.5" Depth unknown
Thanks

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I would like to replace mine as well. I guess I could call the Grady dealer and pay handsomely.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I am looking for drop in boxes or trays that fit under the aft seats on my 1988 Seafarer 228. Any advice on where to find? approximate dimensions are 11"x 16.5" Depth unknown
Thanks
Was this an original option on this boat? I know of my boat, which isn't a whole lot older, it doesn't look like it would have been an option.

If it was, here is what you can do: get the part number (parts manual or Grady dealer) and try googling for the part. You may find it through ebay or some other means of salvage yard sales. Otherwise, if there's room for the lip (doesn't interfere with the lid), make it yourself to your specs!

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would like to replace mine as well. I guess I could call the Grady dealer and pay handsomely.
I will take your old ones and patch them up! I called GW and cust service transferred me to Parts and they were not helpful at all. Hope you have better luck. I am thinking about designing and building my own. Probably easier, less costly and more satisfaction doing that. Wonder if anyone has done that?????

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Was this an original option on this boat? I know of my boat, which isn't a whole lot older, it doesn't look like it would have been an option.

If it was, here is what you can do: get the part number (parts manual or Grady dealer) and try googling for the part. You may find it through ebay or some other means of salvage yard sales. Otherwise, if there's room for the lip (doesn't interfere with the lid), make it yourself to your specs!
Thanks Good suggestion. I have googled but I may be using the wrong terminology. Suggestions as to what to call them.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
You can make them out of starboard. Would be better than the originals.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks Good suggestion. I have googled but I may be using the wrong terminology. Suggestions as to what to call them.
Well, as far as terminology, I think you're on the right track (maybe 'tub' or simply 'storage', as well?). Was it definitely an option for your boat? Was the parts department just at a loss? Maybe it's because it wasn't an option? If they just sounded too busy to take the time, try another dealer or contact Grady directly. Grady is typically very helpful. At least this way you'll know if you're chasing a ghost, or not.

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well, as far as terminology, I think you're on the right track (maybe 'tub' or simply 'storage', as well?). Was it definitely an option for your boat? Was the parts department just at a loss? Maybe it's because it wasn't an option? If they just sounded too busy to take the time, try another dealer or contact Grady directly. Grady is typically very helpful. At least this way you'll know if you're chasing a ghost, or not.
I just bought this boat but I think I remember a GW 1987 26 walk around that had them. Seems logical for a tray to b put in here for storage.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I just bought this boat but I think I remember a GW 1987 26 walk around that had them. Seems logical for a tray to b put in here for storage.
I'm not saying it is, or isn't as I don't know for sure one way or the other. Just because one model has it (especially a bigger one), doesn't mean another model has it. But I wouldn't base your assumption on 'logic' as that's not always the case around boats! :)

If you find out IF it was really an option, then at least you know to keep looking (if you wanted to) or stop and make one.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If they are the gel coat color thin molded plastic, they came from the factory. Best to either see if you can get the original reworked or see if you can make one.