Drop transom door conversion to seat??

exudedude

Reaction score
I was thinking of pulling the door out and get some pipework done to make a back frame and cushion with a drop down seat. Has anyone tried this before?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't know what model boat you're talking about or the exact layout of your door (any pics?), but if I understand you correctly, you don't want to actually eliminate the door, right? You just want to add a cushion (backrest) to the door and seat bottom that can either be removable or drop down?

Can you just add a cushion to the existing door? Then install a couple of horizontal chocks for a seat bottom to rest on?

exudedude

Reaction score
It's a 1990 Gulfstream. The door though a great idea is a total joke. Every one that I have seen, the slide bolts vibrate free and the door falls down. I have to fold up a foam wax pad and shove the door closed,then slide the bolt if it is to stay shut, but in a chop it pops out and the door falls and let me tell you it is a foot breaker if it hits you. Also the newer engines have a taller cowling so after you upgrade you can't tilt the engine all the way up unless you let the door down. If I did not have a 6 y.o. boy I would just take it off.

I'm going to get smaller pipe and get a frame made that will either mount on the face where the trim around the door is now or have tabs that will mount it in the well area. But in order for the engine to clear it has to be on the cockpit side. It will be a flip up seat. I'm working out a package deal with the fabricator for a new bimini for the back, new bolsters,the seat and helm area seat covers.

This is just part of a rehab project, I am also getting the windows redone, new electronics, sanding out the gelcoat , buffing out and installing new decals and stripes. New cabin upholstery

Door pic

rh92rYB.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ah, now I see. I was thinking of a walk-thru transom - like a small door on the port or starboard side.

Yeah,I know what you mean about those slides. The transom door (walk-thru) on my Sundancer does the same thing (but only when I'm trailering). The only plus is I installed magnets in the door and the side of the boat to hold it open. Luckily, they're strong enough that if it does open up during trailering, the magnets hold it and keep it from slamming back and forth.

But, just for reference, if you did want those slides to stay put... Install a short section of black, nylon strapping just below the "knob" when it's in the closed position. Install a snap just above the knob and a snap in the other end of the strap. Snap the strap over the knob, erring on the inboard side of the knob.

Another way to go about it is to make the a channel that the outboard edges of the door slide into, from top to bottom. Maybe just an extended piece of flat stock on the cockpit side. I assume there's chocks on the engine side? I've never seen one of these doors in person.

Sound like you've got a nice laundry list of things to do - the Gulfstream is a really nice boat. I guess all you'd need to do is add a pad to the drop-door (after securing it better) and a removable bench (as simple as wood) - which could be held to the transom wall with quick release-type latches. If I understand you correctly, you've already got a bead on having something made. If not, maybe we can hash out an idea.