Dry Stacking damage repair

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 2004 205 Tournament that we recently bought had been purchased new at a marina/dealer. It had spent its whole life dry stacked on the top shelf of an insulated roof building and maintained by the marina with an open checkbook basically(like I found an invoice for $79 for changing a wiper blade, not the arm, just the blade. Another charge for $354 for washing the boat on the same work order. I mention this not to show elevated pricing by the marina but the willingness of the previous owner to maintain the boat in Bristol condition. It was obvious when we boarded the boat in the lot that it was in very nice shape. That's why I was quite surprised when I crawled under the boat to find some large scratches in the gelcoat on the hull on the port side under the windshield. The scratches were caused when a new Bull operator sat the boat in the wrong berth. It was set up for a much larger boat and as the bow dipped down too far it was scraped by two bolts sticking out. The operator knew something was amiss and picked the boat back up. He tried again and the same thing happened. About this time he figured out he had the wrong set of bunks but the damage was done. I mention this for two reasons. First for the guys that are dry-stacking that always find their boat in the water when they arrive and leave it in the water when their day is over. You might want to purposefully check the underside periodically. Secondly to mention a product to help fix these dings that is so easy to work with, even us cavemen can do a passable job of repair.

OAC2pAOl.jpg

4xk1U7Ql.jpg

9yfW0XDl.jpg

OnRJSGUl.jpg

IaoDxKll.jpg

28b4dCNl.jpg

wKJPnzDl.jpg

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Why not have the marina responsible do a professional repair? Rest of the boat looks great! Good luck

Greyduk

Reaction score
Your repair looks great. Thanks for passing that along. I hope I never need it, but there are no guarantees.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Unfortunately this happens more than you think. Racking just like everything else has its pros and cons. Usually the marinas tell you and fix the boat. Sometimes they don't tell you and fix the boat. Going forward, inspect each time and point out any damage. They should fix it for the donut.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I bought the boat, I bought a new trailer and the boat lives at my home now. No more marina. It took me about 3 hrs over two days to do the repair.

BS5vTxTl.jpg

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You did do a nice job on that repair. :goodjob
I actually have that same package on my shelf ready for me to get around to do some repairs too. It’s good that you say a caveman can do it as that’s been what my daughter and her friends have called me for years. :D
Got my Grady under a carport next to a camper too.
Having it home safe and easy to maintain is pretty nice huh? :wink:
39116139514_c825e27e58_z.jpg