Dry Storage Rack question

Gmanoffshore

Reaction score
This may seem like a silly question but I am thinking about putting my boat in a local marina in a dry rack. This is a new rack system being installed and I stopped by to check progress and noticed the rack boards were cut square with no 18 to 20 % angle cut on them. The marina manager said they had routed the sharp edges but did not plan to cut angles on the boards, should this be a concern or is it a non issue?

jehines3

Reaction score
Huge concern. Most rack systems mount the board with an adjustable upright system that allows the board to be adjusted angle and width. Every boat is different and you ned to have a system properly adjusted fro your rig. I'd also want a well padded system to keep the hull from scuffing and maring. I've stored 3 boats in racks, it was my favorite method of choice (no bottom paint to deal with) and the boat was much safer.

If you have a very fine edge that could result in hundreds or even thousands of psi concentrated on the hull. Your yard is taking short cuts. jh

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My local marina has dry slips, I do not use them but know many that do. When they replace planks, they are vfertical, and over time as the boat sits, the planks take form to every hull. There is no one set angle that works for all boats, using wood planks allows the wood to change and form to meet the hull of each boat and work the best, it should not be a huge concern, if the load is too much, the plank will just reshape until enough hull is touching wood. Angling a plank is worse, it will require a larger pice of wood to support the load of the hull. A straight vertical plank can handle a lot more weight then one mounted on an angle, an angle would scare me. Just make sure there are no longitudinal cracks in the planks, that is a concern, but a flat top isn't a big deal. Another option is ask if you can cut the faces of the planks to the degree you want for the rack you will be going on, they may let you do so since your paying for it, all depends on your marina manager.

jehines3

Reaction score
Mine were always 4x8 (or doubled 2x8) lumber laid vertically (narrow side up) with a pitch to match the hull angle. Well padded. I've seen ones where they use a 2x6 on its side (wide side up) and it does have a tendancy to bow and flex to match the hull.

But as eluded what about the very fine edge?

I'd want it very similar to a boat lift with a huge hunk of wook with lots of surface area as close to my hull shape as possible. The fork lift guys aren't very forgiving when its not their toys.

Amigo

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is the width between the horizontal supports. Assuming they center your boat correctly you would want the supports directly under you stringers. And, they should position the boat so that a few inches of he support extends back beyond the transom.

Gmanoffshore

Reaction score
All of the racks seem to be fixed as far as width so I would just have to hope they fell on or near the stringers.
Also wanted to mention this marina does not use carpet on the bunks just the wood, one of the owners claimed the carpet causes blisters, I tend to disagree but I would just be renting so I am not sure how much I can get changed.
There are a lot of very nice boats using these racks already(boats that were in the old rack system and now in the new) so I though I might be overreacting but it sure seems to me that you would want the most surface area possible to be supporting the boat bottom.
I am really stumped, this is the only marina in my area and with just a couple of changes and they would have me as a customer.

Amigo

Reaction score
The marina I used on Lake Erie had carpet on the bunks. When I moved the Grady to Lake Michigan the marina did not have carpet. Almost immediately I had a gouge near the bow that could only have happened from the end corner of the wood bunk. The marina fixed the gouge for me and also installed carpet on my bunks.

I notice this past fall all the bunks in the dry storage barn have carpet. It cost the marina a whole lot more to fix my gelcoat than it cost to put carpet on the bunks.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Amigo, glad to hear the marina covered the cost of repairs, some marinas would give owner's a hard time. Sounds like an inexperienced operator, they should just be lowering the boat down, not pushing it forward or back on the bunk. I agree carpet is a plus. Also make sure that where the wood is mounted to the metal brackets that there is enough clearance for the wood to form to the hull, over time it will compress a little, you do not want it compressing an inch and then hitting metal, the wood should not compress that much, but anything is possible.

dduflo

Reaction score
Several years ago my Dad stored his boat on a rack in Naples, Fl. A sprinkler head malfunctioned filling his boat with water. Needless to say it came crashing down, totaling his and the 3 boats underneath his. The battery had been removed and the drain plug was still in. Just a FYI

Gmanoffshore

Reaction score
Well it is done, I have decided to give the dry stack a try. I was able to get a 6 month deal to see how everything works. The marina did not offer to make any changes to the rack design but it seems to be OK for the rest of the owners so I will give it a try.
I do have a question on pricing, the marina pulled a tape on my boat and priced it at 30 feet. What are you guys hearing per foot for dry stack rental?

Boats Rock

Reaction score
Mine charges length plus height. A full year around $3000. In and out ounce a day. wash the bottom when it comes out. They have a fish cleaning table, a shower and a bait and tackle store. They have fuel and they are a authorized Yamaha shop. And it is 15 minutes from my house.

Frank

Reaction score
I understand that Grady recommends having 60% of the boat's weight resting on the keel. You might take this into account in considering how the boat is supported.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
The marina I am at has bunks with carpet that run the length of the boat. I have a 272 Sailfish.