Dry Tortugas via Key West

lgusto

Reaction score
Folks,

Thinking about a trip from Key West to the Dry Tortugas the first week of May. Anyone with experience making that trip at that time of year? Advice will be welcome.

Thanks,

Larry

richie rich

Reaction score
I've done that trip on a high speed ferry in October......it was wndy with steady 20+ knot winds out of the west....we were in 6+ foot seas for a good portion of the trip even though it was an otherwise beautiful day.....I would watch the wind forecast before trying it...its a very nice trip though...

lgusto

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've heard that the winds should be down by May, and I've read all the other posts on the forum about the trip. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with that time of year. But in any case I only make offshore runs when the weather forecast is good AND improving. If the trip happens I'll post the sea state data.

tilewave

Reaction score
not sure about the winds, but for the initial 35 miles or so you will be cruising alongside small keys that you could always tuck behind if things really kick up. also the last key before tortuga being marquesa which shouldnt be overlooked for bottom fishing on the gulf side reefs. need a mate???

tilewave

Reaction score
not sure about the winds, but for the initial 35 miles or so you will be cruising alongside small keys that you could always tuck behind if things really kick up. also the last key before tortuga being marquesa which shouldnt be overlooked for bottom fishing on the gulf side reefs. need a mate???

alfa1023

Reaction score
Larry,

No help with the time of year. We did the trip two years ago, but in August. We could have waterskied the whole way there.

We have been all over the Bahamas, but to me, the water around the Tortugas was the clearest, beautiful blue water we have seen. Great diving.

One word of advice - don't anchor too close to Bird Key. We left my boat anchored there while we went off diving for the day on my buddy's boat. Came back to a boat covered with birds and lots of bird crap.

Also, the Rangers take their jobs very seriously.

Jim

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have spent some time in the Keys March through July and May can be a great month or it can be windy out of the east in particular. I have long wanted to make this trip and may try it if the seas lay down for a few days when I am down there. If the Bermuda high kicks in and it is too far east, there can be steady 20 knot winds blowing out of the east, but if it closer to Florida then calm seas are likely. Good luck with your trip.

ahill

Reaction score
I went on the fast cat ferry in May a while ago.
Flat calm, but that is May can blow 40 or 0.
The cat ran the back side ie north of the Marquesas instead of south.
Fairly shallow all the way so worst is a chop as opposed to big swells. Skipper headed due west out of KW harbor until visual contact then made some minor adjustments.
Please post your boat model & fuel burn. There are NO services available and the Rangers won't help if you run short of something.

lgusto

Reaction score
Thanks all.

For safety, we're taking:

2x expected fuel needed
2x expected water needed
cat 1 epirb
plb
spot
sat phone
radar, sonar, sat weather radar (all Raymarine)
commercial fish finder (Furuno)
main VHF and handheld
commercial 6 man raft
inflatable dinghy
DAN oxygen kit (scuba)
offshore 1st aid kit
spare hub
spare fuel filter
spare USCG licensed captain
seatow card

missing anything?

alfa1023

Reaction score
Larry,

Looks like you have it covered. The only thing I don't see is spare fuel (adult beverages) for the two captains. :lol:

Since you mention scuba, if you are diving and taking spearguns, be sure they are "disassembled" when in the park boundaries. The Rangers have no sense of humor in that regard.

I assume you have paper charts just in case you needed them. Have fun and give us a full report when you get back.

Jim

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Larry,
Maybe you should have another epirb just to be safe :lol: I am curious when you post twice the fuel needed or extra fuel? That boat should have a cruising range of nearly 300 miles if I am not mistaken? My 228 will get 3.3 mpg if the seas are flat and it drops around to 2.7 in 2-3s. When we ran to the Abacos last year in her it was a great trip. Sure we had two other boats with us, but there were legs of that trip I was far more remote than the Dry Tortugas. In the end I think your decision to go or no go will be the winds at the time of your trip. If you run over post a report of your log when you get back.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Sounds like you've got it covered. We used to do our mid-patrol break on USCG Cutter Steadfast LE patrol near Loggerhead Key. Some of the clearest water you'll find anywhere. You should be in VHF range almost all of the way, so that should be your first call should you get in trouble. There should be plenty of people to talk to if you get lonely. Make sure to you keep your overboard MSD seacock (if you have one) closed in the entire area. I'd elect for the northern route around the Maquesas, but there are coral heads that stick up pretty far at low tide so watch for those if you stay close in. I remember a lot of toothy critters in the deeper water when diving, but can't recall any major issues with them. Wish you calm winds and following seas!

lgusto

Reaction score
Thanks Bill for the MSD reminder, Jim for the paper charts, and all the good wishes.

Bob, I figure burning about 60 gals round trip and about 40 gals fishing and diving. With a capacity of 150 gallons that means about 50 gallons needed for 2x spare. We all know what bad weather does for consumption. I'm considering a fuel bladder or just a few 12 gallon jugs. Anybody have other ideas for fuel?

Thanks

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
wspitler said:
Wish you calm winds and following seas!

Very appropriate for a power boat.

But the old saying comes from the days of sail, and was for "Fair winds and following seas". A 'fair wind' being one well abaft the beam, i.e. at least far enough aft for a square-rigged ship to make her desired course.

:D

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I sailed on the Eagle as a cadet and remember having to wear ship. Seemed like we always lost a lot of ground, but square riggers don't tack very well. No more "snail" boats for me, but they are smoother riding!

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You might want to check The Hull Truth in the Florida regional section for info on making the run to Fort Jefferson. The advice will mirror what you have gotten here but with a number of people posting upcoming trips. Might be helpful if you are looking for a group or buddy boat making the crossing when you do.

Have fun and post pictures!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Larry,
I switched to a 4 blade prop last year and got anywhere between 1 and 2 tenths mpg cruise performance improvement. On the high end it gives me an extra 30 miles of range and the low end around 15 miles. I also get a tad better trolling numbers too. I suspect the Gulfy would benefit from a blade wheel in performance and handling over all if you are not already running one.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You may be a little light on your fuel consumpion. The trip seems to be aprox 150 miles round trip, I'd figure using 100 gallons for the trip to be safe plus whatever you plan to use diving. When it's snotty you probably will not see much more than 1.5 MPG, much better to err on the safe side than run out.

That looks to be a fun trip, it's on my bucket list.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Smoky and I were discussing this..

I have heard that you are really restricted concerning where you can anchor. For example, I've been told you can't anchor near any beach and wade ashore, nor can you randomly pick a spot and drop the hook.
There is a designated anchorage area off Garden Key, I guess.

This takes some of the "wind out of my sails" for making the crossing. I would have to buy a dingy to ferry back and forth to the beach in, stow it aboard somehow, plus spend hundreds in fuel, all the while waiting for the perfect weather window.

If I was a fisherman, that might tilt the scales a little, but I want to snorkel, walk the beach and swim in the clear water.

It seems like a great trip, but it's lots of money to not be able to go where you want to go.