DSC

JeffN

Reaction score
I have a DSC number and have entered it into my primary VHF. I am awaiting delivery of a handheld VHF with an internal GPS and DSC. Do I use the same number for my handheld or need another?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
From the Boat US MMSI FAQ page:

I have a handheld radio on board my boat. Should it have it's own MMSI number?
If you plan to use the handheld on other boats, you might want a separate MMSI number so that you can update the registration according to which boat it is currently on. If you plan to use it only on one boat, you can use the same MMSI number as the fixed radio.

I have a VHF Handheld with DSC capability. Can I register it for an MMSI through your
website?

If the handheld is for Marine use, yes; however you would need to keep the registration updated according to the specifics of which boat it is being used on. Reason being, the USCG could be misled in a distress situation thinking a distress came from a boat other than the one actually involved and could end up dispatching the wrong type of rescue unit or calling the wrong emergency contact in any particular situation. Also, it would be inappropriate to register handheld VHF if the intention is for over land use such as hiking. The Coast Guard will not be the appropriate response for this type of distress. Use of Marine VHF Radios on land is prohibited.

http://www.boatus.com/mmsi/MM3.htm#q23

JeffN

Reaction score
Thanks -That is where i applied for my number. I'd forgotton that. I guess I will use the same number I have as I am usually on my boat, I do throw my hand held in my bag when I go on other boats though.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you set up your HH with a separate MMSI than your main radio, you can go on line and change the description of the boat each time that you go out in a different one. It is a PITA, but the idea is to let the GC know what they are looking for in case you can't communicate with them.

They are still trying to figure out proper regulations for HH DSC radios. The problem is that all participating countries have to agree. Some don't like the idea of registering a radio with a person rather than a vessel.

JeffN

Reaction score
Points well taken but I usually have the portable with me in my backpack that comes and goes with me. The few times I am on another boat it is usually spur of the moment. Like getting off my boat after coming in and getting an offer to go out with someone else for a couple of hours, this does not happen very frequently. No computer access at that point. To me it would make sense to be able to register the handheld either way - to an indvidual or boat. But yes it is not a perfect world.

JeffN

Reaction score
In the end I got a separate number for the hand held - like you say I can edit it if I want.