Dual Axle Rear Wheels Not Touching

langski93

Reaction score
I just put a new OEM axle on the front of my EZ Loader, and replaced the rear hubs on the rear axle. Even installed a homemade flush system to the new brakes. Now going to tow with my new Toyota Tundra and go pick up my boat later this week. The trailer is riding with rear wheels off the ground about 4 to 6 inches. Should I wait to see what the weight of the boat does or do I need to get one of those hitches that raises the ball higher toward the bumper thus lowering the rear of the trailer? If I don't make the change, I am concerned that the weight of the boat will lever the tongue upward and that has to effect tracking if not more? Does anyone have any ideas,opinions or solutions? Have you had a similar problem? Thanks to all.

langski93
Adventure 208

seasick

Reaction score
measure the distance from the bottom of the frame to the center of the hub for both axles. They should be about the same. I suspect they aren't.
Also look at the angle of the trailer relative to the ground. It should be just about level.
I would not load the boat yet. If The setup is incorrect you will overload one axle and affect handling.
The older axle springs could be shot also. See what you find but you may have to replace the older axle with the same one as the new.
I forgot to ask: What kind of springs? Leaf or torsion?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
As said, multi-axle trailers should be very level when loaded, particularly with torsion axles. I suspect yours is not if all you did was an OEM axle replacement, and a different ball hitch should be explored ... :uhm

catch22

Reaction score
langski93 said:
The trailer is riding with rear wheels off the ground about 4 to 6 inches.

:shock: ...

Sounds to me like maybe you replaced a "drop" axle with a regular straight axle, (or vise-versa) . Even if the trailer tongue/coupler were a few inch's lower than level, there's no way it would cause the wheels on the rear axle to be off the ground by 4 to 6 inch's. Somethings wayyyy off.

gw204

Reaction score
No way simply hooking up to a different truck could pull your front axle 4" to 6" off the ground.

My guess is that it's a straight tube tortion axle and you simply have it bolted in wrong. I bet if you unbolt it, and turn it 90 degrees so the arms drop towards the ground and bolt it back up you will be fine.

Got any pics?

gw204

Reaction score
gw204 said:
My guess is that it's a straight tube tortion axle and you simply have it bolted in wrong. I bet if you unbolt it, and turn it 90 degrees so the arms drop towards the ground and bolt it back up you will be fine.

And now that I think even more about that, I don't even know if that's possible. Having that axle 90 degrees out of position, would probably force the tires into the fenders.

Pics. We need pics. :hmm

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Try 180 degrees...the torsion arms are probably "up" and need to be "down".

langski93

Reaction score
Thanks for all replies. I reversed my drop 3" and it was too high for the elevator to lift the receiver over the ball. I then put a drop 2" reversed and it pretty much dialed it in. All wheels touch and elevator has capacity to get receiver over the ball.

langski93