Dual Console vs Center Console

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just got back from the Miami Boat Show and I like the 230 and 257 while my wife prefers the 225 or the 275. Looking for pluses and minuses of each style - we've had a 180 and an Islander (W/A).

I'd like to head offshore and hit the Bahamas, while also doing near shore and cruising.

Thanks
Greg

striped bass

Reaction score
Greg:
My wife and I went through the same drill. After much comparison and sea trials the 225 and 275 won hands down. They both are the perfect fishing machine and coastal crusier. Seating was much better as well. The 225 and 275 were very user firendly and more versatile than the CCs. In the CCs the crew was mostly standing holding onto the center posts.

Take a sea trial which will be the decision breaker for both of you. Good luck and post some pics of your choice.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I have owned dual consoles for over 16 years and currently own a 275 Tournament with a single Yamaha F350. Each time I have purchased a new boat it has been a very tough decision between a CC and a DC. For my blend of boating the DC has always won out. I do a lot of saltwater fly-fishing and occasional off shore tuna fishing. My family also enjoys non fishing time on the water equaling about 30% of the boats use, which is great as it means more time on the water for me.

For a strict fishing boat use, the CC is the way to go as you can walk a fish all the way around the boat and have a hard top to support radar. The CC however, does not in my opinion support the family time anywhere near as well as the DC does. The DC has lots of open space and the seating is orientated towards lounging, most CC’s do not support this use well. When I am fishing which is three to four times a week from May through October, I leave the bimini and bow cushions at the dock flip the rear jumper seat up and can fish two fly roders at the same time with plenty of room to spare. In my opinion the DC fishes as well as any CC but the compromise is no hardtop and no radar. If you buy the DC with a hard top you get the radar option back but lose the ability to walk a fish around the boat. If you are a casual fisherman this is no big deal, only you can answer that question.

If I were to purchase a CC the 257 would be at the top of my list. For the DC’s if you can afford it the 275 has the advantage of more room, a larger head, transom door and the all important five additional feet of wetted surface. As a final note to date GW has the DC market wrapped up but keep your eye out as Pursuit is reintroducing a 26’ DC this spring that will be worth a look.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I had a 192 dual console and loved the boat. My kids are still kids and the dc is a btter family day boat, especially if weather kicks up you got more shelter compared to the narrow CC helm. We looked at the 275 and man if you can swing it, I would love to have that boat and looked at one with a hardtop and twin 150s. We then looked at the 225 and compared it to the 228 G and while the cabin on the 228 is not huge and many argue a cabin on a WA this small becomes impractical, I really like it and we have camped out on the boat and having a closed bow in bumper seas is nice too. If you go down to the 225, check out the 228/226 as well.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I have a 268 Islander with a Suzuki 300 on it now so I wouldn't give it up to go for a 226/228, what I would give up on the cabin, plus the increased cost would not be worth it and I'd be better off buying an aluminum trailer and an Excursion to tow it around for family vacations.

I like Pursuit but I like being part of the Grady family and can't see where I would own another brand.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
225...hands down.

Having owned a 192, and a 205, and now a 180, there is no comparison. The 225 is truly the SUV of boats...you can fish, cruise, pull skiers, etc...

The used ones don't last long...like the 180s....

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Parthery said:
225...hands down.

Having owned a 192, and a 205, and now a 180, there is no comparison. The 225 is truly the SUV of boats...you can fish, cruise, pull skiers, etc...

The used ones don't last long...like the 180s....

My brother has a 225, maybe we should plan our NY family visit for the summer this time, then we can take it out for a day and get a real good feel for it that a sea trial would not give.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Greg,
You might just answered your own question. I would seriously consider getting the trailer. Depending on how big your family is, I would suggest getting a Tundra Crew max cab to tow it.

If you really want to change boats, we did take a 225 out for a sea trial and loved it. The full stern and bracket give that boat a ton of room.

We love going places with our boat. Living in the mountains we have lakes and so forth, but to fish we gotta travel and travel we do. Funny thing is we are campers and backpackers, perhaps at heart. But since my middle kid came along and had complications from meningitis as an infant, he has changed the game. Kyle loves the water and being on the boat, so most of our family time is boating time now and if we can tie camping into it we do. I wish we could find a way to cram the Smokies next to the Keys, then life would be perfect.

Trailering is a pain at times and the bigger the boat the bigger the hassels and concerns. Let us know what you choose to do.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob
I have a galvanized trailer that has been nothing but trouble, I think its probably at the limits for the boat and until 2008 did an annual trip from Jupiter FL to Manteo NC. With trailering problems and lack of use down here (FL) combined with the $500/mo rack fee and trailer storage hassles, we moved the boat to the owner's lot at our place in NC.

I think with an Expedition or Navigator and sitting on a new Loadmaster trailer, the trip would be a whole lot easier, plus I'd be more inclined to head to the Keys or over to visit the inlaws in St Pete.

It will still be a lot of boat to tow but maybe with the new trailer, I wouldn't mind as much.

I was really leaning towards downsizing to a 230 or 257, but we were at the show and my wife likes the dual console - 225 or 275.

I wanted a CC when we got the Islander, so I was hoping to downsize from that (and upsize from the 180 that I owned for about 8 months) and just have one boat that would be easier for the back and forth.

Even cheaper would be to find a $5000 Mako 17 and leave it under the house in NC and bring the Islander back here until the house in NC sells, then either get a small place in the Keys or a used 330 so we could head to the Bahamas - obviously no trailering then...

I'll let you know what I do.

Thanks again
Greg

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I am on my second dual console having just purchased a 2010 Tournament 275 to replace my 2006 Seaswirl Striper 2101 DC. Admittedly I don't fish so a center console doesn't make a lot of sense for me but what I like about the Dual Console is that you get fairly decent protection and lots of room. Since I won't be overnighting on the boat (my wife considers it "camping") having a cabin gives up lots of usable passenger space and adds to cost (and windage for docking). I agree with the description of a Dual Console as the SUV of boats. I do find it interesting that lots of manufacturers make 21' and 22' Dual Consoles, Robalo makes a 24', and Pursuit is coming out with a 26'. Other than those two, Grady White owns the market for large Dual Consoles (which I'm told have sold very well).

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Greg,
Living in Jupiter sure makes those Key's trips easy, not the 16 hour drive I have from the Smokies :lol: Also, if you fish a little, being so close to the stream in Jupiter makes owning a smaller boat very nice and a dual console is not a big drawback to fish it. I wonder if you could get the 225 with a hardtop? You could get outriggers and fish and do the family boating stuff too. Then again, I fished my 192 in the Keys quite successfully without outrigggers.

My long term goal is to buy a 330 and keep my 228 too. I can see the advantage of having a smaller boat and a bigger one too. My 192 was a heck of boat for water sports and light duty fishing. I enjoyed being pulled by it more than the 228 for wake boarding. It was spritely on acceleration compared to the 228. If I could have kept her I would, but I needed to sell her to buy the 228.

I envy you though because I yearn for a larger boat to fish and run to the Bahamas with. Eric Kelly at Lockwood Marine, then at GG subsequently Play Two in Edgewater would run the Daytona Beach Grady White Club over to the Abacos and routinely they would have a number of 228 and Gulftstreams in the floatilla. It is doable in my boat, but I would feel much safer running over there with other boats at the same time.

Have a great day...

prodiver

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tashmoo's post is on spot.

I bought my 275 in 2008 with the 350 with no intention to fish.

Then I got hooked, since I wanted more reasons to be on the water. My wife thinks I should be committed. I've got out riggers now, added rod holders, added two more gunnel rod holders, with steel backing plates so I can fight BFT, added power outlet, have down riggers, etc, went from 0 fishing combos to maybe 25 or so now, etc., etc.

I've fished with several captains out of Wrightsville Beach, and they all love the set up. Most importantly, when it's cold out, you can enclose the entire area (with Hardtop), and it's like a greenhouse. So year round fishing works great.

The boat works great for the family. We go out often, and the head for the grandchildren is a must.

BTW, I feel real comfortable taking a single out 55-60 miles. Don't do it a lot, but the 350 is real dependable. Have about 300 hours on the boat.

Oh yeah, I did catch a GBFT off Morehead, though not on my boat. 85" long, and stayed with the boat. Great deal, only $100 to go out.

Good luck