Dual Engines on a 232 Gulfstream

tbasgil

Reaction score
1st time owner of a dual engine boat. The 232 engines are so close that you really don't have the stern docking advantage. Do I just need to really practice using the dual engines or should I really stern dock with the steering wheel just like a single engine?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 232 with twin 200's.
Granted, it isn't as maneuverable as an inboard rig, but it can be spun around and you can back it into a slip with reasonable control if there isn't a lot of wind and current.
Tilt the engines up to the "shallow water running position." I mean trim it up to where the lower unit loses contact with the trim cylinders. Stop there and then practice backing the boat stern-to into a slip, or wherever. The prop wash is directed down and it doesn't hit the transom, giving you more thrust, therefore more control.
Try to always bring it in with engines only and the helm centered, unless there is too much crosswind. Then, you just can't do it, so at that point, use the wheel and treat it like a single engine rig.
Personally, I try not to mix the two options. Backing in with the engines AND using the wheel throw me off. One action undoes the other and I get caddywhompus in a hurry.

Practice with it. You'll get there and feel good when you slip it in stern-to with just the engines. It'll do it...

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Oh, and one other thing..
When you get in position to spin the boat around to back into the slip..For example, you leave the port engine in forward and put the starboard engine in reverse, give the starboard engine a bit more gas, revving it up slightly more than the port one. That will help spin you faster, getting you quicker into position to stern in. Then, just make sure your stern is squared up evenly with the slip entrance and then alternate engines, giving short bursts of reverse and forward to keep the boat lined up straight.
Another tip I got on here is look at your throttles. The handles point in toward each other. If you want the stern to move slightly to port, put the starboard engine in reverse. The starboard throttle handle points to port, which is where the stern will go. So.. whichever way you want the stern to go, use the throttle that points that way.

tbasgil

Reaction score
Thank You! I'll be practicing this weekends! My marina is in a area where current will not be an issue, but wind can. So .....throttle control with the engines lifted....thanks! Just needed to hear that from someone who feels my pain.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Props make a big difference. My 232 with the black steel yamaha props would not back well at all. Quite a difference all around when I switched to props with more blade area (Mirage+)

The 232 will back with just throttles, but as you said, a beam wind will change that quickly.

I was pretty happy with being able to spin the boat with the engines as well.

Either way vastly better than a single 232.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It can be done but don't expect to have the same spin speed as a twin inboard. Trim the motors up and practice, if you have to fight the wind and/or current, you're going to need throttle.