Dumb 265 Express Question

SlimJim

Reaction score
Does the 265 have a SeaV Hull? Also are there any seats or bench seats for the 265 deck/transom? Thanks.

Frank

Reaction score
Yes and beanbags or folding chairs. You probably could have some sort of bench seat custom made that spans the fold-down transom.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, the Hull is a SV2, but it starts 1 degree sharper then all other SV2 hulls so it is more of a deep V then the others and will eat a chop better. No, the 265 does not have transom seats, but I have seen some companies who sell folding transom seats that can be mounted on one side and fold out of the way, although I think they would still be sticking out a good 6-8"min and you would bang against them. You would probably need a custom mount to attach them and would need to attach them to the side, since the transom well folds down. Also, you need to make sure it can fold down with them folded up, this might also make getting on and off the boat a little trickier if you plan to use the swim platform, unless you stand on the fold down seat. I usually have 1 folding deck chair on board when fishing offshore but there is plenty of room for two. When I run offshore I bring it home to reduce stuff on deck. I like the deck chairs better, you can move then wherever you want and keep them out of the way. Also, the folding chair stores nicely between the helm seat and bench seat on the stbd side if you want to get it out of the way.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mine is a 2000 model and unless somebodies foolin' with me it has a seavee sticker still on the windscreen.
Took my Aussie 265 for her first run in the Coral Sea today, only a couple of hours, to see what worked and what didn't. Gradyfish didn't exagerate when he said handles the chop better....WOW.... awesome ride with 6 guys and 200 litres on board. Blowing 10 - 15 knots in the bay.
Having owned a narrower 26ft. with a 26 deg. hunt design before I wasn't expecting such a ride in a much wider hull. Weight can be a beautiful thing sometimes.
Just for interest downsea we did 32knots at 4200 rpm using 18 gph. I presume the gallons are US ie 3.8 ltrs.
Got some sorting to do on the trailer and autopilot and then we're out again.
Does anybody there use teflon pads on their bunk trailers. I had some Probs getting her to move off and its a brand new US built alloy trailer with carpetted bunks?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Jekyl, I believe your fuel gauges can be switched to liters. I think if you remove the panel and flip it oper there is a switch to do so. I would email Yamaha and ask, but I am pretty certain you can do this, that may make things easier for you. As for having trouble getting the boat off the trailer, with a bunk type of trailer you need to submerge the trailer more and back it down the ramp more. Only problem I could see is some trailers may use wood planks and this will actually float the trailer, making launching slightly more difficult. Some aluminum trailers are also light enough to float. Next time you launch, have someone see if the trailer is actually floating. If it is, either remove the wood if you can, or if there is none, maybe add some lead weight to the tail end of the trailer to keep if from floating.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Here is my rear seating arrangment.

PATANDDON.jpg

Please note the ear plugs! :D

Tim

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Or you can buy an Igloo marine cooler and the detachable cushion for it. This also works, and serves 2 purposes!!! And free's up space.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
Or you can buy an Igloo marine cooler and the detachable cushion for it. This also works, and serves 2 purposes!!! And free's up space.

Cushion? If they complain about not having a cushion, tell them to pack one in their purse next time.

Conjuror

Reaction score
I use two of the thin aluminum and canvass folding deck chairs....They stow in the cabin against the aft bulkhead with two bungee cords. The chairs fit shockingly well there. I used to use the heavier chairs in FINattic's post but I found they were always in the way when not in use.

Also, I also made some new folding rod holders in my 265 cabin which I would post if I could figure out how.