Dumb battery question

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Battery 2 was left on and about dead. I know you typically only switch to all when having trouble starting but can you run on all to recharge number 2?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Crank on #1, switch to #2 and run. Keep in mind it will take quite some while to charge if really depleted .... :wink:

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You might want to put it on a charger overnight if you have access to line power. I would also keep my eye on it after charging to make sure the battery is still good if it is a starting battery.

uncljohn

Reaction score
Curmudgeon said:
Crank on #1, switch to #2 and run. Keep in mind it will take quite some while to charge if really depleted .... :wink:

Note that I tried this w/ a dead batt a few weeks back. #1 dead, switch to #2, fire up fine, switch back to #1, go to throttle up and motor goes, but immediately started surging and wanting to die. So the stator wasn't putting out enough amps to both charge the battery and run my electronics and the engine. But plenty of previous times, I've done this method and things have been fine, so it depends on HOW dead the battery is.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it's not a deep cycle, get a new battery. Totally discharging a starting or dual purpose will kill it. While it may recharge it will never have the same power.

seabob4

Reaction score
Grog said:
If it's not a deep cycle, get a new battery. Totally discharging a starting or dual purpose will kill it. While it may recharge it will never have the same power.

This is true. It will charge fine but will discharge very rapidly...

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks to all. I put a charger on it only to find it was DOA. It was a Deka with very little use but it had been left on for some time. Grabbed an Interstate at my closest marina and put it in. Damn boat batteries are a pain to fit in--but a 225 is easier than my old 208.

seasick

Reaction score
Curmudgeon said:

Swith by passing through BOTH (or ALL) from one battery to another. Do not pass OFF whne a motor is running.

3rd Day

Reaction score
Boat batteries can be a pita. I don't rely on the engine charging system to bring a low battery up. Strikezone is correct, put it on a charger first rather than using the engine. Rectifier/regulators can be expensive if they are overworked and fail. Tight Lines.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
viperdrum said:
Thanks to all. I put a charger on it only to find it was DOA. It was a Deka with very little use but it had been left on for some time. Grabbed an Interstate at my closest marina and put it in. Damn boat batteries are a pain to fit in--but a 225 is easier than my old 208.
Viper Drum,
My only dissatisfaction with my 225 is how hard it is to get to the batteries for service or replacement. You have to turn the lead acid Dekas on their side to get it in the battery area. I would love to go to AGMs for that reason when it's time to replace them but Yamaha tells me not to. have you heard that as well?

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
capt chris said:
viperdrum said:
Viper Drum,
My only dissatisfaction with my 225 is how hard it is to get to the batteries for service or replacement. You have to turn the lead acid Dekas on their side to get it in the battery area. I would love to go to AGMs for that reason when it's time to replace them but Yamaha tells me not to. have you heard that as well?

Don't know about that but I found changing the 225 batteries not too bad especially compared to the 208 I had. Just move the seat up and slide them in and out . It is a tight squeeze for sure and getting the wrench on the negative post is tight but only took a few minutes.