duratrim replacement

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I know this topic has been discussed before and I apologize in advance for bringing it up again, but... I just got my sample starboard pieces from boat warehouse and would like some info. The smallest thickness available is 1/2 inch. They will cut to my size requested thus avoiding the need for table saw and routing of pieces. My question is the 1/2 inch thickness, how does this look/work. I know others have uses starboard to replace duratrim hence the question.

seasick

Reaction score
It depends on what parts you are replacing. For things like the trim around tackle boxes or 'shelves' 1/2 will do fine but for applications like toe strips, it will be too soft in the required lengths.

ric2352

Reaction score
Most folks not happy with Starboard. I took off the faded Duratrim and sanded the wood grain decal off, down to a nice solid brown color and gave them a few coats of marine urethane. Used new screws and i think it looks great. Has held up really well. Can post some pics if you are interested.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I used 5/8" Delrin for mine last weekend - should last until the end of time. 8^)

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Looks great, where did you get it

fl8216

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Pulled small piece of duratrim off and sanded, also glued two samples of laminate. What color do you like?
Tommyduratrim_test (2).jpg