E-10 fuel and a 6-8 week layup?

Gary M

Reaction score
Any Recs for keeping things fresh during a possible 6 week or more layup? The tanks are nearly empty..... The boat is in the water In Ft Lauderdale.....

Fuel Stab?

Ring Free?

Other additives?

Full tanks?

Half tanks?

Empty tanks?

Add fresh fuel ASAP afterwards?

Other Recs?

Thanks!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Stab - I use Startron, can't swear by it but no major problems.
ring free - always! (at least with a 2 stroke)
additives - can be a loooong debate but not a necessity
With the price of gas dropping I'd wait to fill them. 6-8 weeks isn't that long. When you run it again, fill'em up.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
6 weeks isn't that long considering the N.E. boats are on the hard for 6 months! Treat the fuel (I, too, like startron) but run the treated fuel through your engine. I don't recommend topping the fuel off until you've run down the old stuff- you'll only be diluting potentially bad gas.

seasick

Reaction score
I would add some Stabil, run the motors to get it in all the lines and filters and then close it up. There are many arguments for full tanks, empty tanks etc. if the tanks are almost empty, leave them like like, just add a little treatment. As mentioned, 6 weeks is a short time. You probably don't even need to add stabil but if it makes you sleep better at night, go ahead.
If the motors are 2 strokes, you should have been using ring free already. It doesn't stabilize fuel so don't add it now, add it when you refuel

Gary M

Reaction score
The boat's tanks hold 150 & 156 and I'm down to about 30-35 gallons aside. In my Boating section of my big Forum down here, it was Rec'd that I add Stabil, run the engines, shut them down and leave it alone. Then add fresh gas when I get back....

I always add Ring Free when I add fresh fuel......

Thanks.....

seasick

Reaction score
Stabil is fine. use the recommended ratio for normal use and not for long term storage.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I use the Ring Free. I went down to our vacation home in SC for a long weekend this past week and found gas at $2.52 a gallon! I borrowed the marina truck and towed my boat up to the pump and filled her as high as she would take!