E-Tec 300 on 255 sailfish

GW 255

Reaction score
Just finished rebuilding the transom on my 255 sailfish and have decided to go with a single 300 E-tec. does anyone have experience with this combination i have heard mixed things about the torque from an engine this size on the transom. For what its worth the dealer doing the work swears this will not be an issue. thoughts?

Graybeard

Reaction score
There's an article in Boating magazine about repowering outboar ds and someone from Grady White said the SeaV2 hulls are stout enough to handle the weight of a 4 stroke engine. But some other older models may have a problem with the extra weight of a 4-stroke causing the scuppers to be underwater. The E-Tech was one of the lighter weight options to repower hulls that weren't designed for the extra weight of a 4-stroke. So you should be safe. I watched something on Ship Shape comparing the torque of a 150 E-tech vs a 150 Merc the E-Tech had more. But Evenrude was one of the show sponsors, so I don't know how fair the test was

richie rich

Reaction score
You'll save a lot of weight going to a single 300, but I like twins for maneuvering and as back up if one craps out for some reason.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
At 5000 lbs dry, your performance might be close to this:

http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/neu ... /PE628.pdf

(The hulls are different but that is the heaviest boat they list with a single 300.)

Did your whole transom get replaced? Any photos? That transom was rated for 400HP so it should handle the 300 assuming it was rebuilt properly. If you are uncomfortable with the E-Tec's torque, you could just go easy on the throttle. That's what I do with my twins. Speaking of torque, with one engine out of the water I was able to hit 35 MPH on a single 200HO. I've posted that before, you can see it here if your are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PffCDl8WNM

I went easy on the throttle there because it didn't want to beat on the motor any more than necessary - they are 2006's.

See if the Evinrude dealer will throw in or give you a break on an I-command or Icon gauges. Your old gauges will work but it is nice to be able to monitor all the information the digital gauges can handle these days. I'm planning to replace my old tachs with I-Command tachs after the boat show.

I also like twins because of the maneuverability at the docks and the redundancy but I suspect you will burn a lot less gas than I and others do with twin 225s, regardless of the number of strokes.

Clockwork

Reaction score
I have the same boat, a 1988. Ive read everywhere that you cant put twin 4strokes on because of their weight. My boat came factory with twin evinrude 200s which weigh 455lbs each. My boat was repowered with 2004 honda 150s that weigh 485lbs for a total difference of 60lbs which is negligeable. If you wantex 200s though the weightgoes way up.

The 150s push this boat just fine. I think its a good option.

GW 255

Reaction score
yea i had the entire transom removed and rebuilt from the inside. also had the top side completely enclosed instead of that stupid seam that GW used which as most of us know is a perfect way for water to ruin the transom. I had an older set of 175 VRO's on there and the boat sat fairly low in the water. im not really concerned with the weight because i have removed the aft tank to help compensate, probably will elongate the main at some point.

GW 255

Reaction score
I was quote a little over 23000 for the 300 ETEC 30'' shaft installed with ICom and electric shift/ throttle. they were also throwing in the 6 year warranty as well.

GW 255

Reaction score
I think dry the 87 sailfish is 4800# or so not including engines. so with the 300 i expect to be around 5900-6000 with a single fuel tank configuration. ill post pictures of the boat in the spring once i can get it back and prepped for the summer.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GW 255 said:
I was quote a little over 23000 for the 300 ETEC 30'' shaft installed with ICom and electric shift/ throttle. they were also throwing in the 6 year warranty as well.

The Icom controls are excellent, especially on twins - the guy I share my finger float with has them on a pair of 2013 200HOs

I have no knowledge on recent pricing - you could check over at the E-Tec site:

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/

You want to go with a Rebel prop with that hull for good low-speed planing performance and economy. I would guess 17" pitch which has a large 15 1/2" diameter. You want to make sure you can get near the high-end of the optimal RPM which is 5800. Don't go with a Viper - it's a bit faster but the low-speed planing performance was not good on my hull.

Was it only the transom that needed replacement? Stringers were okay? Got any photos of the work in progress? What does a job like that cost if you don't mind me asking...?

GW 255

Reaction score
yea the transom was about to fail at the corners in the notched section due to the seam that GW built the boats in the era with. other than that it was actually still sound and fairly dry everywhere else. since i wanted to re power anyway i felt it was worth it. the shop i brought the boat to i had the transom completely redone the stringers tabbed into it. had the fish wells on top of the battery boxes shortened up so i could fit batterys on one side and oil tanks on the other. All of that is around $6000. i will show some pictures once i get the boat back from the shop.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't know if the Voyager in in the same weight class as your 255 sailfish so my post may not help you.
I repowered mine with the 300 E-tec and my voyager handles it as good as one could want.

GW 255

Reaction score
i would imagine it is close to the 255 maybe a few hundred lbs less overall. the max for the sailfish is 400HP so i should be in the sweet spot with a single 300 propped out correctly.

GW 255

Reaction score
do you have any pictures of yours with the etec on it?

billyttpd

Reaction score
There is a 255 in the marina next to mine with a 300 Etec on it...so its been done before. Wash I could tell you more but I don't know the guy.. The boat has been back year after year with on motor on it so he must be happy.

GW 255

Reaction score
portaftpicture_zps0281be22.jpg.html

billyttpd

Reaction score
My thinking is a single 300 on a boat that I have seen many times with twin 150s if fitted with the correct prop has to perform decent. you obviously forego the advantages of twins but think of the weight savings.

GW 255

Reaction score
yea i posted a few pics of the boat prior to the work that has been done. I just bought a 60 hp etec for my boston whaler katama and love that engine. its terrific on power and fuel so i don't think i will have a problem with the 300 as far as performance and weight are concerned. the only place i can imagine a problem is with close quarters handling.