Easter bunny came early

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Turns out they are all white underneath! ;)

Long story. The short story is I ordered white; they tried to give me black. After some drama, they are now white.
Ahh, I think I read your story on THT. Good they got it handled

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ahh, I think I read your story on THT. Good they got it handled
Yeah, that was one of my better dumpster fires over there! Ultimately it gave me some good info and leverage to get things ironed out.

Reactions: Saltyone

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The black ones look pretty nice and shiny when they're brand new and with the shop lights shining down on them, though I can't imagine if you're running them in saltwater as well as all other kinds of elements that they'd stay looking like that for very long. I think, though I could be wrong, but that the white ones are probably going to maintain their new look a bit longer, not fade as badly as the black ones will and weather a bit better overall. Good that you got what you wanted and told them that you weren't happy, congrats on the new motors!

Reactions: family affair

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The black ones look pretty nice and shiny when they're brand new and with the shop lights shining down on them, though I can't imagine if you're running them in saltwater as well as all other kinds of elements that they'd stay looking like that for very long. I think, though I could be wrong, but that the white ones are probably going to maintain their new look a bit longer, not fade as badly as the black ones will and weather a bit better overall. Good that you got what you wanted and told them that you weren't happy, congrats on the new motors!
Thank you. Agreed.
Word is the white holds up better long term - at least the cowlings. The fresh water here has a lot of minerals in it. Black looks like hell almost instantly from the water spots and can't easily be removed without a little acid water. White hides it better. We also spend a lot of time in the water, so bodies will be in contact with the engines on hot days. Black would hurt!
Sure, white shows dirt, but I keep a clean boat, so I don't mind a little extra cleaning.
Out of the water the bright white looks off with the GW standard color, but in the water they look nice IMO. I hope to get on the water photos this weekend.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you. Agreed.
Word is the white holds up better long term - at least the cowlings. The fresh water here has a lot of minerals in it. Black looks like hell almost instantly from the water spots and can't easily be removed without a little acid water. White hides it better. We also spend a lot of time in the water, so bodies will be in contact with the engines on hot days. Black would hurt!
Sure, white shows dirt, but I keep a clean boat, so I don't mind a little extra cleaning.
Out of the water the bright white looks off with the GW standard color, but in the water they look nice IMO. I hope to get on the water photos this weekend.
I know that my uncle's old boat had twin 175 hp 2 stroke Mercury's on it that were black in color as well and yes, they would show water spots and everything else like crazy, especially the saltwater. I used to think that the white looked a little bit weird with the Grady White kind of off white looking hull, but I think that's just because most of us are used to seeing the blue/gray of a Yamaha outboard on them. Which yes, I think Yamaha outboards definitely look the best on the Grady hulls, but not enough to spend an extra $5k+ on them just for the sake of appearance.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
One other plus for white. I challenge you to look at and distinguish the parts of a trim/tilt assembly painted gloss black! Then imagine trying to diagnose a leak.
Hopefully that is an issue I won't have to worry about for a long time!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
All Zukes are Gray on the inside;)

They don't paint the tilt/trim at all. and their tilt/trim is above the water not like the Yammies.

I had a black DF140 for 12 years. The stickers faded but the paint held up very well. Yes, the salt spray showed ...but that helped you clean it right.

I got the white DF200APs for the grady. The white looks great with my faded 2000 gelcoat. Zuke only charged $100 for the white. No brainer. White motors are the sht nowdays.

I suspect the white lower units will discolor more noticeably than the black

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yeah, that was one of my better dumpster fires over there! Ultimately it gave me some good info and leverage to get things ironed out.
I really liked when everyone glossed over the fact that you had it resolved but continued to either flame you or tell you what size bat you needed to go down there with.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Reading and comprehension skills are not a prerequisite to attain THT membership.
I'm often facinated as to what posseses people to latch onto or fabricate specific details that at times have nothing to do with the topic.
I double-dog-dare you to start an "Evinrude is superior to everything" thread over there. That fire is guaranteed to burn for days!:D

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Reading and comprehension skills are not a prerequisite to attain THT membership.
I'm often facinated as to what posseses people to latch onto or fabricate specific details that at times have nothing to do with the topic.
I double-dog-dare you to start an "Evinrude is superior to everything" thread over there. That fire is guaranteed to burn for days!:D
Same with spelling skills, or more like a lack thereof, over at THT...

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I don't think my skin is thick enough for that lol!

Last edited: