Easy addition of 4 rod holders to 330 Express

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've been planning to add hard top rocket launchers to my 330 Express but have held off because of the cost and also because I'm 5'-8", getting rods up there would require climbing up on something.

I noticed a thread on here where someone had extra holders welded to the rear hardtop supports (and I think the current owner didn't like them much), but that gave me the idea to try using clamp on holders to do the same thing. I used these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3CS798/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They came quickly and are very high quality -- nice machined, welded and polished.

They attach nicely between the existing holders and do not interfere as you can see in the pictures. (The 3 left ones with black inserts are the originals and the 2 holders offset to the right with white inserts are the new.

Pretty psyched to have finally solved this problem as the boat really needed a few more holders, especially to have someplace to place rods when clearing the spread.

Attachments

• IMG_7828.JPG
    IMG_7828.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7838.JPG
    IMG_7838.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 78

Dand1

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I've been planning to add hard top rocket launchers to my 330 Express but have held off because of the cost and also because I'm 5'-8", getting rods up there would require climbing up on something.

I noticed a thread on here where someone had extra holders welded to the rear hardtop supports (and I think the current owner didn't like them much), but that gave me the idea to try using clamp on holders to do the same thing. I used these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3CS798/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They came quickly and are very high quality -- nice machined, welded and polished.

They attach nicely between the existing holders and do not interfere as you can see in the pictures. (The 3 left ones with black inserts are the originals and the 2 holders offset to the right with white inserts are the new.

Pretty psyched to have finally solved this problem as the boat really needed a few more holders, especially to have someplace to place rods when clearing the spread.
Looks like a good spot, those factory installed holder on the back of the hardtop are almost useless. Unless your 6’8 or have a tower

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks for posting/sharing the link. I was planning to do something similar for the same reason, but use the inner tubing, rather than the outer tube like you've done. Nice to see they will fit on the outer tube. This is one of my winter projects updates I need to do.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
That looks good! I installed a 7 rod holder across the back which makes it much easier to load the boat, engines still trim up fine as long as I remember to take the rods out.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I added a couple of Taco's on my hardtop tubing for pulling planer boards on Lake Erie. They work well. Gets the rods up, out of the way, off the gunnels.

20200918_194840.jpg20200917_202256.jpg

Reactions: ocdansar

Finest Kind

Reaction score
I added a couple of Taco's on my hardtop tubing for pulling planer boards on Lake Erie. They work well. Gets the rods up, out of the way off the gunnels.

View attachment 16389View attachment 16390
I put a pair of clamp-on rod holders on the vertical section of the bow rail (where it enters the deck right in front of the fuel fills as seen in KY's pic above).
The holders I used are similar to these, which allow you to adjust the angle of the mounting you prefer.

Angled so that the holder is pointed up and out a bit, it works perfectly to hold another pair of rods while trolling. With these, I can troll 3 rods down each side, and a pair off the outside hardtop holders and another down the middle.... if you don't get a hit with 9 rods out, the fish ain't in that spot!

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That looks good! I installed a 7 rod holder across the back which makes it much easier to load the boat, engines still trim up fine as long as I remember to take the rods out.

I put 3 of these on the transom when I first got the boat: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AY9IT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(should have done more, but I guess I can still add)

I didn't think I could do one of those multiple holder bars because I assumed they would hit the motors...

In total, I've added 10 rod holders to the cockpit: 2 gunnel holders in between the 2 factory ones, 3 on the transom, 4 on the hardtop supports, and 1 0-degree swivel holder at the starboard aft corner (will be installed this winter). That gives me 20 holders in total - this boat definitely didn't come with enough!

We usually troll 7 or 8 lines when we are bluefin or canyon fishing, but it will be awesome to have enough holders to put the cleared rods when we're fighting fish.

Last edited:

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Speaking of trolling, I took off my outriggers (no more hassles folding them down for low bridge clearance)...they are no longer needed since we started using these:
https://www.sterlingtackle.com/specialty-spreader-bars
Who needs outriggers when let out far enough, a pair of Wide Trackers will be running great and attracting fish while swimming over 100 feet apart?!

We run a pair way-back and another pair much closer, along with a pair of rigged ballyhoo running at the same distance out as the closer pair of widetrackers, a pair of cedar plugs in tight off the transom and a bird/green machine run way back in between the two far widetrackers....this 9 rod spread has been deadly with the Yellowfin Tuna off NJ this season!

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Speaking of trolling, I took off my outriggers (no more hassles folding them down for low bridge clearance)...they are no longer needed since we started using these:
https://www.sterlingtackle.com/specialty-spreader-bars
Who needs outriggers when let out far enough, a pair of Wide Trackers will be running great and attracting fish while swimming over 100 feet apart?!

We run a pair way-back and another pair much closer, along with a pair of rigged ballyhoo running at the same distance out as the closer pair of widetrackers, a pair of cedar plugs in tight off the transom and a bird/green machine run way back in between the two far widetrackers....this 9 rod spread has been deadly with the Yellowfin Tuna off NJ this season!

I love my Sterling widetrackers! 2nd season fishing them and we caught YFT, mahi, and event a 175lb bigeye. They work great, though I'm still using my riggers (fortunately no bridge clearance issue).

seasick

Reaction score
One advantage of the clamp on is that sometimes they stick out past where shrink wrap or winter cover may be. That is especially true on railing mounted holders. In those ases all you need to do is loosen the mounting bolts and turn the holder inward. Next spring do the reverse ( and ponder where exactly you had them last year:))

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Please check out Cisco Fishing Products, they make great products and can custom make a mount for your hard top rail.

Fishtales

Reaction score
bolt ons are the way to go. if you want to weld them on don't forget to remove all wiring in the pipes...

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I also bought the Amarine clamp ons, because I was hoping that the flat plate would allow me to add one between each of the verticals on the factory rocket launcher. Unfortunately, there is only room on the ends, where the hardtop starts to curve away from the bar.
Still experimenting with where to use some on the uprights, without making it harder for a couple of senior citizens to access the walkaround. I am surprised how much flex there is in the hardtop, between the back of the frame and the edge of the hardtop.

Attachments

• 1A95EA7D-3EDF-45E6-BBB5-49507F96F065.jpeg
    1A95EA7D-3EDF-45E6-BBB5-49507F96F065.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • F6DAF442-6E23-4BFF-8133-AB6ED2D432E9.jpeg
    F6DAF442-6E23-4BFF-8133-AB6ED2D432E9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26

Finest Kind

Reaction score
I put a pair of clamp-on rod holders on the vertical section of the bow rail (where it enters the deck right in front of the fuel fills as seen in KY's pic above).
The holders I used are similar to these, which allow you to adjust the angle of the mounting you prefer.

Angled so that the holder is pointed up and out a bit, it works perfectly to hold another pair of rods while trolling. With these, I can troll 3 rods down each side, and a pair off the outside hardtop holders and another down the middle.... if you don't get a hit with 9 rods out, the fish ain't in that spot!

Here is a pic of how I mounted my clamp-on rod holders.

clamp on rod holder.jpg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Still experimenting with where to use some on the uprights, without making it harder for a couple of senior citizens to access the walkaround.

Where I mounted mine is actually tucked in under the hardtop edge, can still access the walkway with no problem and tucked in on the inside so you don't hit your head on it coming out of the chair to get a rod when it goes off. I'm bringing boat home next weekend and I'll get some better pics.

20200918_194849.jpg20200917_202155.jpg

Reactions: Pighunter

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Some better pics of my extra holders. They are under the edge of the hardtop while going forward or returning from the bow. Happy with the addition. Will work great for pulling the planer boards on Erie.

20201017_142848.jpg20201017_142925.jpg