Ebay Storage Cover Review

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
We used to shrink wrap the boat, but I was honestly not impressed with how dirty the boat always was after I uncovered it. Also I am not a tree hugger by any stretch, but the volume of plastic from just one boat seemed sinful. We did a giant blue tarp a few times that worked ok, but the fit obviously was not great.

This year with the new to us boat we decided to give the $299 ebay cover a try, figured if we get 2 years out of it thats a score. They did not have one for a 305 Express but did for the Marlin so we bought that. Overall it fit well, the outrigger mounts prevented the cover from reaching the rub rail, but I think it will be fine, also makes it easier to get in and out fo the boat there with a ladder! Its not perfect but we are happy overall.

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 4.53.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 4.53.13 PM.png

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm no tree hugger, either, but I hear 'ya on the plastic issue. Some localities have recycling programs - something I'm going to check into. Another option (for future reference or others reading this) is you might find someone in the area that would want it to repurpose it or cover a smaller boat. I've also re-used my shrinkwrap for up to three years! Probably could have gone longer but I didn't want to push my luck.

That's odd that's it dirty when you take the wrap off. I've never had that problem with any boat. IF it's wrapped tight, it should be (well, it IS) better than any cover, from that aspect.

I think what you have there will work. A couple quick notes...

-- Can you remove the outrigger mounts to elimate that gap into the cockpit?

-- The bow area is going to see a pretty good snow buildup. It looks good now, but the snow load is going to flatten it out. You may want to tent it better and/or add some more supports so snow has a better chance of sliding off. A snow rake with the edges smoothed/rounded off might be something you want to pick up.

-- I assume you've blocked the boat before in your yard and overall it looks fine, save for the bow blocking. It's looking a little sketchy. While the gorund is hard now, it won't be come Spring. I'd suggest straightening those out and slipping a double layer of 3/4" plywood underneath - at least a 2' square. Might as well put some ply under the others, as well. You'll "probably" be OK since you have the boat stands. But it's better to spend a little more time now than risk having to get a crane in the Spring to lift the boat off the ground!

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I'm no tree hugger, either, but I hear 'ya on the plastic issue. Some localities have recycling programs - something I'm going to check into. Another option (for future reference or others reading this) is you might find someone in the area that would want it to repurpose it or cover a smaller boat. I've also re-used my shrinkwrap for up to three years! Probably could have gone longer but I didn't want to push my luck.

That's odd that's it dirty when you take the wrap off. I've never had that problem with any boat. IF it's wrapped tight, it should be (well, it IS) better than any cover, from that aspect.

I think what you have there will work. A couple quick notes...

-- Can you remove the outrigger mounts to elimate that gap into the cockpit?

-- The bow area is going to see a pretty good snow buildup. It looks good now, but the snow load is going to flatten it out. You may want to tent it better and/or add some more supports so snow has a better chance of sliding off. A snow rake with the edges smoothed/rounded off might be something you want to pick up.

-- I assume you've blocked the boat before in your yard and overall it looks fine, save for the bow blocking. It's looking a little sketchy. While the gorund is hard now, it won't be come Spring. I'd suggest straightening those out and slipping a double layer of 3/4" plywood underneath - at least a 2' square. Might as well put some ply under the others, as well. You'll "probably" be OK since you have the boat stands. But it's better to spend a little more time now than risk having to get a crane in the Spring to lift the boat off the ground!
Every time I u wrapped our old 272 I was never impressed with how much cleaning I still had to do, even after going away clean. Maybe the guy I was using could have made it tighter and more vents, but either way we didn’t really want to go that route. Also when the bot was stored on Cape Cod it was easy to find someone, at our house inland it was difficult in the past and a premium $$$

Next year I could probably try removing outrigger mounts but it did not look like a quick thing and we figured risk it I ER pulling cover off and attempting.

We added those front blocks after the hauler left, he didn’t have them there at all, getting them in there snug is why they are crooked. Luckily the ground there is like iron, even in the spring. When a cement truck doesn’t make ruts it’s amazing grass can even grow its so packed there.

steveditt

Reaction score
Third year using the same shrink wrap on 208 , after the first year installed a large zipper front of the boat 4 or 6 feet which was simple , use the same frame slide in on zip it close and using the same ties to the trailer , installed a zipper door to work on the boat if needed . Any problem or weak spots use shrink wrap tape . don't see any reason its not going to last a few more years .Your cover looks great always concerned about heavy snow if your not home to remove it ,shrink wrap seems better in the snow .

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I tried one of those ebay covers on my 330 express. reached out to the seller before i bought to confirm it would fit as this is a large boat. I think they ship the exact same cover for all boats. Mine fit exactly like the OP's cover except it didn't even come close to the rub rail in the middle. Only thing on my hard top that sticks up is a standard garmin closed dome radar on the lower forward part of the hard top. I ended up getting a refund but had to eat the shipping even though it wasn't my mistake.... but it kind of was for expecting any kind of honesty from a company selling $300.00 boat covers. such a conundrum: hate paying 1K for shrink wrap but don't want to spend $4500 (fisher) or $6000 (custom local canvas company) for the customer fit like a glove.

wish there was a $1500-$3000 option that fit pretty good.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I tried one of those ebay covers on my 330 express. reached out to the seller before i bought to confirm it would fit as this is a large boat. I think they ship the exact same cover for all boats. Mine fit exactly like the OP's cover except it didn't even come close to the rub rail in the middle. Only thing on my hard top that sticks up is a standard garmin closed dome radar on the lower forward part of the hard top. I ended up getting a refund but had to eat the shipping even though it wasn't my mistake.... but it kind of was for expecting any kind of honesty from a company selling $300.00 boat covers. such a conundrum: hate paying 1K for shrink wrap but don't want to spend $4500 (fisher) or $6000 (custom local canvas company) for the customer fit like a glove.

wish there was a $1500-$3000 option that fit pretty good.
Someone on one of the Grady FB groups was going back and forth with Sealskin for a cover that would work, the first attempt was too short. For the $300 I am happy enough with this cover and hope I get 2 or maybe 3 years out of it.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Every time I u wrapped our old 272 I was never impressed with how much cleaning I still had to do, even after going away clean. Maybe the guy I was using could have made it tighter and more vents, but either way we didn’t really want to go that route. Also when the bot was stored on Cape Cod it was easy to find someone, at our house inland it was difficult in the past and a premium $$$

Next year I could probably try removing outrigger mounts but it did not look like a quick thing and we figured risk it I ER pulling cover off and attempting.

We added those front blocks after the hauler left, he didn’t have them there at all, getting them in there snug is why they are crooked. Luckily the ground there is like iron, even in the spring. When a cement truck doesn’t make ruts it’s amazing grass can even grow its so packed there.
Yeah, I can't say why your boat got dirty with the shrink wrap - but it is what is and your experience is your experience! :)

Blocks/grass... got it. Yup, you'll be good.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have a similar off the shelf cover I have been using on my 305, this will be season 6. the gaps mid ship above the gunnel are larger on mine as I have a satellite dome on a pedestal which tents up the cover. I also went with the larger size and it will cover the outboards as well. It is inevitable that the boat will get dirty over the winter, just clean her in the spring. You will need to support the front of the cover. I have a 1/4 spine the goes from the hardtop to the railing on the pulpit. it is supported midway, and I have multiple lines cris-crossing to the railings. This does a pretty good job in keeping the snow off. If you have medium sized fenders you can tie them next to the outrigger mounts, which will help take pressure off the cover at those spots.

Reactions: PointedRose

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks good from here. Time will tell on the durability of the cover.
When they shrink wrap them tight, you can get some hull burnishing from the wind rattling it. I like how the cover straps on. You can use some gallon jugs filled with sand or water to hold straps down in spots if needed and experiment with some pool noodle pieces where straps are tight to the hull if wind is a concern.