ECOS , new regulation, status update (with a smile)

seasick

Reaction score
As you may be aware new rules on the use of the Emergency Cutoff System (or Switch) went into effect.
I went out for a short rip on the 208 a day or so ago and remembered the new usage requirements so I clipped the lanyard strap to my shorts. We did some cruising, and took in the sights which was mostly July 4th water madness. After a somewhat stressful and rockytrip, we headed back to the dock. While docking, I went to tie off a port dock line when all of a sudden the motor died. I looked at the motor and turned a bit pale when my wife, smiling, pointed to the kill lanyard hanging down my leg:)
I didn't remember it was attached and I didn't feel a thing when it got yanked. Well at least I know it works.

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Good job. !! At least your wife knew what it was all about. :) I took a short ride yesterday and cant tell ya how many people I saw NOT wearing the ECOS

seasick

Reaction score
Other than the first time I drove my boat and a few days ago, I never used the lanyard either. It serves a good purpose and can reduce boating injuries so I guess I just have to make a point tp add it to my mental checklist.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Good on you for following this new reg. on. my Carolina skiff is use that cut off switch routinely even before I was required. I don't see how mandating that use on my boat is going to save anybody from anything. One I don't drink much less drink and boat and two I can't for the life of me figure out how I would be ejected from my boat given it's a Walkaround with full wrap around windshield and hardtop. if I am ejected my passengers are totally hosed too. Finally , I don't boat or fish alone ever. So the regulation doesn't much sense to me . lastly you can't see whether or not the lanyard is in use and the rules say it has to be used on plane ,not at slow speed or around a dock. There is no way a Coast Guard can determine whether or not I am using it while underway . Anyway, good on you for following the law .

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Accidentally tripped mine while docking in FL a few years ago. Snagged it with my hand while close in maneuvering. Hit dock concrete straight on with bow pulpit. Crunched stainless roller. Fortunately only damage.

Years ago I wore my life jacket and always clipped in when running my bass boat.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Accidentally tripped mine while docking in FL a few years ago. Snagged it with my hand while close in maneuvering. Hit dock concrete straight on with bow pulpit. Crunched stainless roller. Fortunately only damage.

Years ago I wore my life jacket and always clipped in when running my bass boat.
In boats that you could easily fall out of like skiffs,Jon boats,bass boats, and center consoles it makes total sense to wear it and use it.

The way the law is written though guys in walkarounds and express models under 27 feet also need to comply. If you have a hard top ,full windshield and all that piping around you I just don't see how being at the helm and being ejected easily is going to happen. Could it? I suppose but I contend if you are going to be ejected from either of those style boats your boat is totally screwed and the engine cut off switch ain't going to help you or your passengers.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Good on you for following this new reg. on. my Carolina skiff is use that cut off switch routinely even before I was required. I don't see how mandating that use on my boat is going to save anybody from anything. One I don't drink much less drink and boat and two I can't for the life of me figure out how I would be ejected from my boat given it's a Walkaround with full wrap around windshield and hardtop. if I am ejected my passengers are totally hosed too. Finally , I don't boat or fish alone ever. So the regulation doesn't much sense to me . lastly you can't see whether or not the lanyard is in use and the rules say it has to be used on plane ,not at slow speed or around a dock. There is no way a Coast Guard can determine whether or not I am using it while underway . Anyway, good on you for following the law .
As improbable as it seems, there are lots of interweb vids of rogue boats spinning in circles at high enough speeds that ultimately are hugely dangerous for anyone on the water, especially the coast guard, harbor patrol, etc that have to deal with the situation. It’s probably one of the more dangerous things they have to deal with and probably all too often. So I get it. I also get your points, as I often will not be alone either, but my passengers honestly wouldn’t be that helpful so responsibility on the captain as always.

my old boat does not have the lanyard installed but it’s on my to do list to just get it done. I read an article in a recent BoatUS issue that stated older boats don’t require retrofit but will do it anyways.

I guess it’s like the flares…how often do they actually get used before expiring…just want them in the unlikely event you need them

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Saw this just now and does not sound fun

1625718997844.png

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
That was this guy.

The comments on Instagram also have the story from the perspective of the father/son rescuers

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
  • Angry
Reactions: igblack87