Ed's Marine Superstore

Gates

Reaction score
Good Day Everyone and happy holidays,

I was wondering if anyone has purchased outboard motors from Ed's Marine Superstore in VA? http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com -- I am in MA and the local Marina I want to use to put Yamaha motors on my boat cannot order the motors alone through his distributor, only if there ordered with a boat. I know, kinda of strange but the Marina stated if I was able to get the motors, they would install them and back the warranty as a certified Yamaha dealer. Ed's Marine has the lowest prices I have seen on outboard motors but being a thousand or so miles from my door step, I have no idea of their reputation and $25 - $35K is not exactly chump change. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Based on what you're looking for, they are probably the best deal. They post on THT and while people have had issues with buying boats from them with regard to options, changes in packages, etc. you are ordering a commodity item with no changes from their posted prices so you should be fine.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ed's used to be cash and carry at store, or ship to specific dealers only.

When Yamaha changed the rules, don't know if they still ship or hang only at store. Call them.

If not, find a Yamaha repowering dealer by you.

Bama96

Reaction score
I do know they will ship to a Yamaha dealer. Yamaha requires this due to the warranty I believe. Sounds like your dealer fits the requirement. Call them.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ed's will NOT sell you a Yamaha motor, they have to install it or send it to an authorized Yamaha dealer, not any dealer. This is what i was told when shopping for a Yammi for my other boat.

Local Motion

Reaction score
dealer

Greg B said:
Based on what you're looking for, they are probably the best deal. They post on THT and while people have had issues with buying boats from them with regard to options, changes in packages, etc. you are ordering a commodity item with no changes from their posted prices so you should be fine.

I dealt with them a few years ago.
They will ship to a "willing" dealer to install them.
Most dealers will not do it because they don't get the sale, which I can understand. I was becoming too much of a hassle trying to orchestrate the deal and locate cooperation.

It works for some people and if you locate a willing dealer to just get the installation, then I guess everyone is happy.

In the end I wound up buying new power local, doing my own installation, then the dealer sent someone out to calibrate my throttle plates with the DDT and sign off on my warranty in full force. Worked out great and everyone was happy.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In 2005, Ed's has an agreement with some Yamaha dealers all over (local to you).

If someone wonders why a local (YAMAHA) dealer would do such a deal even though you bought the motor elsewhere (from Eds say), it's because the dealer will likely have your business in general for other stuff, like maintenance, parts, etc.

Ed's wouldn't release the Yamaha dealer name by me until after the sale.
That's the problem for me at the time.

At that time YAMAHA dealers didn't have to do the install, so I wanted ED's to ship to my address they declined. I didn't feel confident I could drive into local dealer I didn't buy from and just have them load the motors crated in from Ed's onto my rental truck.

I found a "near Ed's price" by me from local Yamaha dealer, just shopped some more. Glad I did.

jdsmith

Reaction score
I am local to Ed's (12 miles). Dealt with them two times and terrible experience both times. Zero customer service. Good luck!

Gates

Reaction score
Ed's Marine

Thank you everyone for you input on Ed's Marine as I will be checking around. I have a 1985 GW 257 Trophy Pro and have researched a lot of different motors. I almost went with Suzuki 175's until I discovered the extreme difficulty if getting parts as confirmed by a dealer I spoke with. I also considered the E-Tech's but based on what I read on this forum, I will be staying away from them as well. I want to re-power with 4 stroke engines and twin Yamaha 150's is what I have in mind.

I emailed GW to ask what the maximum transom weight my boat can hold and was told it would be OK to repower with today’s comparable two stroke motors due to weight and power. They did not list the max motor weight for the boat. "The transoms built for the 80's period were not designed or constructed to handle the weight and power of motors such as the markets current four strokes."

The way I figure it is my boat max HP is 400. In 1985, twin 200 2 stroke Yamahas weighed a total of 800 lbs. Todays 150 Yamaha 4 stroke weighs 466 each. Even though twins would weigh 932lbs, I believe the boat could handle the extra weight as I have seen on this forum similar boats toting bigger motors. I would appreciate any thoughts.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
it is the HP that comes in to effect, because of torque against transom (flex)

good move on yami, because e-techs and suzi are very very hard to find quality techs

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Gates, if your boat was rated 400 HP in that year and was offered in twins not just singles, the Evinrude/Johnson motors in the 200HP model was the same block and weight as the 225s, which is the big block.

That may not be the case for Yamaha's 200s back then, and Grady sold in those days with a choice or power brand; Merc, OMCs, or Yami and Yamis were not the most popular choice back them, by the way.

So get the weight of the 200/225 Evinrude/Johnnie (OMC) in the 80's, I bet much more than the Yamis, and in effect, you are adding zero extra weight.

Since the F150s are not V6 motors and have one one head full of valve gear instead of two, their weight is similar to V6 2strokes.
I was told the F150 is the most popular Yamaha 4 stroke, doesn't surprise me. It continues the tradition of when the 2 stroke 150 Hp model was also the most popular HP rated 2 stroke sold.

If I'm correct, and Grady HQ gave you that answer you quoted, then they blew it, and we here at GG nailed it.

If I'm wrong, have no issue admitting it.

I don't work for Grady HQ, obviously!

If no one here knows the weight of the OMC 200s, go over to THT.
I turned over the manual for my 1992 Johnnie 200s to the next owner - would be same motor.

Have fun with the F150s, new motors = new boat.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The internet is an amazing thing...

The 90 degree OMC V6 200 HP weighed 386 lbs. So, you are adding roughly 160 lbs to the transom if you go with the F150s.

Whats interesting is a new Yamaha 2 stroke 150 (the largest 2 stroke still made - although I think you can probably find a 200 HPDI if you look) weighs 426....almost 30 yrs later and they haven't gotten the weight down.

jethro99

Reaction score
Parthery said:
The internet is an amazing thing...

The 90 degree OMC V6 200 HP weighed 386 lbs. So, you are adding roughly 160 lbs to the transom if you go with the F150s.

How did OMC do it? That weight is amazing. My old Merc 175EFI weighed approximately 466 pounds and I thought it a light weight compared to my Yam F200.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Johnson / Evinrude 90 deg V 200/225 HP model TX/CX per OMC service manual Part Number 508147 in 25 in lower unit is 455 bs
The 200 HPDI 25 inch lower unit is 476 lbs
The F150 25 inch lower unit is 476 lbs.

455 lbs
476 lbs
476 lbs

It's all the same.

Merry Christmas!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The F150's shouldn't pose much of a problem. An extra 120 pounds on a 6000+ pound hull isn't much.

If it my list of motors:

1. Find a new pair of HPDI 200's
2. Opti 200's
3. Verado 200's ( 510 pounds)
4. ETEC 200's

If the Zuke dealer network was better they'd make the list but everyone is either Yami or Mercury. The new Yami's look good but at 550 pounds and 225 HP you might be at the point of breaking the cammel's back. How does the boat sit now?