Edson Steering knob

Grady White Guy

Reaction score
Has anyone installed one of these on their wheels? Does it fit with the metal band or do you need to drill a hole through wheel?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Metal band worked for me, but had to add a bit of 'lok-tite' to the threads to stop it from working loose over time. Would not be easy to drill a straight hole through the rounded surface of the steel wheel.

Fishtales

Reaction score
GW uses a Schmidt wheel. I changed one out on an earlier boat. They offer it without and with the integrated ball.
You could swap out the stock wheel for less than a couple of hundred (bet you could do better than the prices here if you shop around) and sell your existing one on ebay.

http://www.go2marine.com/product/92598F ... ision.html

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
Make sure you put it at 6-oclock position when you are going straight. The added weight tends to pull down there and if it's not at 6 then boat will steer off course.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I put and Edson knob on about 5-6 years ago. no problems.

Enough Already

Reaction score
No matter what position I put it on, it always seems to end up at the 6 o'clock position just when I hit a wave and fall forward.

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
SC Adventure 208 said:
Make sure you put it at 6-oclock position when you are going straight. The added weight tends to pull down there and if it's not at 6 then boat will steer off course.

I had the same problem with the all stainless knob. I sold it and installed the one that is lighter and made mostly of a polymer material and I like this one much better. It doesn't have nearly as much effect on the steering.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Enough Already said:
No matter what position I put it on, it always seems to end up at the 6 o'clock position just when I hit a wave and fall forward.

Ouch... :cry: