Eisenglas Cleaning and Care

Alibi II

Reaction score
What is the best product to use to clean and care for my Eisenglas? I make sure to hose the salt off with freshwater and then use an Absorber (chamois) to dry them. I have some scratches and scuffs from rolling them up when in MX. A friend with a lot of boating experience swears by Pledge furniture polish but I haven't had the guts to try it.

Bama96

Reaction score
I just cleaned mine a few weeks back. The Plexus spray can cleaner is great. It works very well as it cleans and protects in one step. If you have some severe scratches or foggy areas the McGuires eisenglass polish is the best for that. I can't stress enough how pleased I was with the Plexus. Great product. :D

Fishtales

Reaction score
I tried the 2 step Maguires plastic glass cleaner and Plexus. The Maguires worked good, but it was a lot of work, basically doing everything 2X and was more difficult (lots of rubbing) to apply.
The Plexus was much easier and provided same if not better results. That is what I use now.
I've heard the same about pledge before, just doesn't seem right to me as I thought there might be transparency issues, but never tired it.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
plexus is one of the brands recommended by gw. it's been working great for me for 6 years.

Alibi II

Reaction score
thanks for the input. Will Plexis remove the scratches?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Alibi II said:
thanks for the input. Will Plexis remove the scratches?

i believe that they have a scratch remover formula. i have not had to use it. send an email to gw and see what they suggest. ron

reelserious

Reaction score
I have been using a product called 210 since the boat was new 10 years ago. The original eisenglass still looks like new. I rarely roll up any except the back center and sometimes the back left and right. 210 also makes a scratch remover, which I have tried, but I don't believe any product is going to actually remove all the scratches. I have never tried Plexus, but it sounds like it works well also.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
reelserious said:
I have been using a product called 210 since the boat was new 10 years ago. The original eisenglass still looks like new. I rarely roll up any except the back center and sometimes the back left and right. 210 also makes a scratch remover, which I have tried, but I don't believe any product is going to actually remove all the scratches. I have never tried Plexus, but it sounds like it works well also.

i actually started with 210 (also a gw recommendation). i personally like the plexus better. ron

Grady282owner

Reaction score
I recently bought and used Novus Isenglass cleaner. It is available in 3 steps. I bought all three. The 1st Step is a basic cleaner protectant, the second is for minor scratching, and the third step is for major scatches. I have to tell you this stuff worked great I had to use all 3 steps. Novus has a slide show video on how to use their product, I recommend following their directions beause what a difference. Godd luck and let us know.

Grady678

Reaction score
Nothing removes scratches except a high speed orbital polishing machine like a Makita 9227. Must use non abrasive car wax made for clear coat and white paste. I have done this and it does remove minor scratches to a minimal degree.

Eisenglass is first deep cleaned with Denatured Alcohol then you can assess the deepness of your scratches. Pledge and PLexus work great thereafter. Hand waxing with white car wax (0 abrasive) lasts longer but a pain to apply.

Everytime you roll them up, you are scratching them so you might want to consider placing material in between.

If you have the time, you can razor cut the Eisenglass stitching out of the fabric and install new Eisenglass you can buy on the internet very cheap. Have a marine upholster stich up and voila you have new glass. Spray paint the canvas before you stitch in the Eisenglass. Depending on how large your boat is.....you'll save about 50% in cost overall.