Eisenglass cleaning

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Strataglass recommends IMAR products. Been using that on mine and it works great.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If it's just regular eisinglass, you have more options since you won't have the extra coating that Strata uses - although I have no doubt their cleaner would work just fine on regular glass, too. Really, though, any clear vinyl cleaner/protectant is just fine... 210, 303, MaryKate, etc, etc. The most important thing is using a very soft cloth. If you drop it on the floor or the ground, throw it away.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

seasick

Reaction score
Plexus works well also but how effective a product will be depends on the condition of the plastic. There are cleaners, polishes and restorers and then protectorants. The first three vary in abrasiveness.
If your plastic is shot, none of the products will work well and hold up.
Do not use glass cleaners or Rain-X on clear plastic

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i've followed GW for decades. clean with denatured alcohol and protect with Plexus. couple other brands suggested. stock isinglass only. good luck, ron

Fishtales

Reaction score
I had eisenglass on my first boat. I used the two step Meguairs for years and then finished it with the Plexus. The Meguairs did a great job removing medium to large scratches, black pipe burn from the glass resting on the glass in spots when up and overall were super products to use. The Plexus is like liquid Pledge for furniture. Does a nice job as a top coat and gives it excellent pliability.

As for strataglass, I followed what they say to use - the IMAR product. Only been doing this for 2 years so hard to tell. I will say first year things worked out great.

As for fabric, I think the white stamoid is far superior to the blue canvas. Easy to wipe down and clean and doesn't hold any stains or dirt.

seasick

Reaction score
I had eisenglass on my first boat. I used the two step Meguairs for years and then finished it with the Plexus. The Meguairs did a great job removing medium to large scratches, black pipe burn from the glass resting on the glass in spots when up and overall were super products to use. The Plexus is like liquid Pledge for furniture. Does a nice job as a top coat and gives it excellent pliability.

As for strataglass, I followed what they say to use - the IMAR product. Only been doing this for 2 years so hard to tell. I will say first year things worked out great.

As for fabric, I think the white stamoid is far superior to the blue canvas. Easy to wipe down and clean and doesn't hold any stains or dirt.
If you don't use the IMAR product on strataglass you void the warranty. Have I known anyone who made a warranty claim for Strataglass? Nope.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Strataglass here. IMAR cleaner (clear liquid spray) does keep it clean but the polish (thicker liquid) seems to do a better job restoring pliability. I use the polish every 3rd the time instead of the cleaner. If the boat won’t be run for a month I’ll take off the enclosure and store it in the cuddy or garage.

Fishtales

Reaction score
A month seems a bit short to take down the enclosure. I do it for layup so I can clean, polish and store in a warm place (in the NE). Many people leave them up all year round and under the shrinkwrap over the winter. As stated, I don't. It is a bit of a PIA to position them all in the tracks and snap/zip into place, so I only take down at layup. This schedule seems to work well for me.

seasick

Reaction score
A month seems a bit short to take down the enclosure. I do it for layup so I can clean, polish and store in a warm place (in the NE). Many people leave them up all year round and under the shrinkwrap over the winter. As stated, I don't. It is a bit of a PIA to position them all in the tracks and snap/zip into place, so I only take down at layup. This schedule seems to work well for me.
I bought a boat that had been shrink wrapped and stored with the curtains installed. It had s been on land for two seasons. The clear plastic actually 'boiled' from the heat. It was covered in hard brown plastic bubbles. It can get really hot under shrink wrap.. Vent's will help and you can get fairly cheap solar powered vents installed in the shrink wrap.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm sure it can in some environments, I was more talking about here in the NE where boats are wrapped in the cold and spring months (Oct-Apr). Good point though....

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I use the Imar products on my last 2 boats. I will use the spray cleaner throughout the summer and the polish when the enclosure is taken off he boat for the winter. The pieces are taken off and laid flat in the house during the winter. The clear plastic has held up great but the zippers, snaps and velcro have always required ongoing repair.

seasick

Reaction score
I'm sure it can in some environments, I was more talking about here in the NE where boats are wrapped in the cold and spring months (Oct-Apr). Good point though....
That boat was in the NE, NYC area.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Never have seen that, but I'm sure it could happen. Almost everyone leaves it on their boats in MA at my dealer. He's always telling me that it isn't necessary to take down. I'm in the minority here that do and I like to wash, clean with the plastic cleaner and then finish with a protectant every year and re-hang in the spring. To each his own....

Reactions: jbloom

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure

Not going to lie, it’s a pain to take off the enclosure but I need to do so when collapsing the bimini to put on the boat cover. The UV index here is pretty high most of the year so things tend to degrade quickly if constantly exposed to sunlight. Also, given that I live close to the water, there’s a good amount of salt in the air (depending on the wind and surf) that wreaks havoc on everything as well. Note that my enclosure is not stock/OEM so it’s probably easier to install.

The main goal is to use the boat often enough that the enclosure never has to come off :)