Eisenglass restoration.

JeffN

Reaction score
I am trying to get another season of use out of my enclosure. The two front windows are somewhat clouded, the sides and rear are still in very good condition. My question is what product has anyone used to clear the weathered eisenglass? I know there are many and usually a two or three part process, Instead of stabbing in the dark I wondered what you folks have used and has success with. Any help would be appreciated.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I recently did all mine, the boat sat for a year and a half and the curtains were all foggy, tarnished and scratch (some deep, lots of minor). I did some research and found a product called Novus. It comes in small bottles I bought two kits for like 20 bucks at "The Container Store". I layed them all out in the media room and went to town, three step process Novus 1, 2, and 3 that has a course, med and fine "grit" worked like a charm. I then finished them with a coat of Plexus...Google there product, you tube has a video, you can also get it on amazon..I sugguest getting the kit. Mine went from something I was looking at throwing away to nearly perfect looking.

seasick

Reaction score
The_Chain said:
I recently did all mine, the boat sat for a year and a half and the curtains were all foggy, tarnished and scratch (some deep, lots of minor). I did some research and found a product called Novus. It comes in small bottles I bought two kits for like 20 bucks at "The Container Store". I layed them all out in the media room and went to town, three step process Novus 1, 2, and 3 that has a course, med and fine "grit" worked like a charm. I then finished them with a coat of Plexus...Google there product, you tube has a video, you can also get it on amazon..I sugguest getting the kit. Mine went from something I was looking at throwing away to nearly perfect looking.

Novus is not recommended for coated plastics. Strataglass is a 'coated 'plastic as are most marine clear vinyls. The coating is a UV blocker. Often polishing the 'glass' will make it look good but the clarity wont last. I hope yours does and I would be interested in a longer term post to let us know how the glass looks after a season.

JeffN

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions guys. My choice of products is limited in my area and I needed to get the boat in. The only product available locally was Flitz but no buffing ball, anyway purchased the Flitz and gave it a try. It did not clear anything up using a cloth, I guess you really need the ball. As I noted above I am just trying to get one more summer out of the windows so I looked through the things available in my garage. I found and tried a Meguires fine cut cleaner product for clearcoat paint that I had left over from a motorcycle project. I figured what the heck and gave it a try, the results were pretty good. I don't know what the effect will be down the road but for now I can see out of my windows so I am good to go.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Picked up some Novus and it does work, but does not like the buff ball. It works best by hand for stubborn spots or rub areas. However, I did pickup the Flitz buff ball and the flitz does a great job overall. A lot better than before, but nothing will make it clear. Mine is 20 years old, but still can see through it now after polishing, but soon needs to just get replaced with new. But, Flitz and ball does do a very good job considering.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Update....after all the time polishing and loving the results, after about 2 weeks, I noticed the clarity is now headed back to what it was. Kinda like they are clouding up some, so harder to see.

I will be heading up to A&J canvas in a few weeks to get new curtains made up with Strata, so seems that after 20 years of age, polishing is a waste of time. Plastic that old is just too old to bring back and maintain it's clarity.

gw204

Reaction score
210 is awesome stuff. I used the scratch remover and cleaner/polish on my old '93 Sailfish curtains and it made them like new. Applied the scratch remover w/ a power buffer and did the polish by hand.