Eisenglass??

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Gents,

Can you school me on the care of Eisenglass/Strataglass?? I have to admit, prior to buying the Marlin this year, I owned mostly pilot house or CC style boats and have never really cared eisenglass before. I ask because we were out last night trolling (got skunked) and noticed that the glass is really going downhill since I bought the boat, all I have done is sprayed it off, and occasionally used boat soap on it with a soft rag... Help please!!!!!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
those are 2 different products. as to the isinglass, i follow GW recommendations. i clean with denatured alcohol and protect with Plexus (one of several recommended products). works perfectly. good luck, ron

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If it's Strataglass, I use the Imar products recommended by Strataglass. After purchasing the new enclosure and the expense, I'll follow the recommendation from them.
IMG_2636.JPG

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Strata seems a lot thicker and in my experience far outperforms eisenglass. I replaced my original eisenglass in 2012, it was five years old and very cloudy. My newer Strata is now 6+ years and looks like new using the Imar products. The Imar products that Ky showed should work on either of them and I have had great results with both the cleaner and polish.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
OK....what I know or think I know about "Eisenglass"

"Eisenglass" was a brand name for a flexible clear vinyl sheet material. In German it literally means "Iron Glass".
It has become a generic term for the clear vinyl windows sewn into boat canvas.

"Isinglass" referred to 2 things. A swim bladder from a fish and the mineral "mica".
Mica is a rock that can be peeled into very thin transparent layers and had a use as a window material in the past.

Clear vinyl sheet comes in different thicknesses, rigidity, and formulas for longer lifespan (which effects the price point!)
Strataglass is a brand name for a premium clear vinyl sheet with expected lifespan of 10+ years.
Generic vinyl sheet would expect 5-7 years.

Care for all clear vinyl sheet-
Never use Windex or similar cleaner. It is acidic and will eventually cause a haze.
Never put Rain'ex on the clear vinyl.

Wash with soapy water and soft cloth or super-soft (and soapy) boat brush regularly. Dry with a soft towel or chamois for best results. Otherwise you get hard water spots.
A few times a season use a protectant labeled for use on clear vinyl.
I have been using an automobile spray quick wax that is labeled for use on clear vinyl.

Immediately clean off any suntan lotion or oily or petroleum product like WD40, Fogger, carb cleaner....they will destroy vinyl!
Never fold vinyl. It is best to leave it up and snapped in position.

Last edited:

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks! Any way to easily tell if I have strata or eisen?

is it OEM? if so, call GW. otherwise a good local canvas shop should be able to give you some insight (also, any tags or stamps on the product?).

also, not a chemist, but i thought the strata was a different composition not just mil size. but that could be one or more of the other products tho. good luck, ron

seasick

Reaction score
Gents,

Can you school me on the care of Eisenglass/Strataglass?? I have to admit, prior to buying the Marlin this year, I owned mostly pilot house or CC style boats and have never really cared eisenglass before. I ask because we were out last night trolling (got skunked) and noticed that the glass is really going downhill since I bought the boat, all I have done is sprayed it off, and occasionally used boat soap on it with a soft rag... Help please!!!!!

You can try something like Plexus or a similar product but the reality is that if the UV layer is worn off, you will be able to polish the plastic and maybe make it look good for a while but it won't last.
Many boaters use the wrong chemicals and unknowingly damage the UV coating. The key to long lasting is to clean with fresh water often. Dry off with a soft towel or the like and apply a protectorant made for clear vinyl that will protect the UV coating.
Since UV rays are what can damage the plastic, I don't necessarily lean towards the 'better to leave it up instead of storing it' theory. If you don't need to have the canvas and windows up most of the time, they will last longer stored correctly. That means rolled not folded with a protective layer between layers of plastic. I use old soft bed sheets. Store in a not too cold and not too hot space and do not leave the curtains on a boat that is tarped or shrink wrapped.

Personally, I don't know how to tell Strataglass apart from the other good products. Perhaps someone knows what to look for. Thickness is not a a accurate way to tell.

Here is a link to a decent article on the different 'window' options.
https://www.strataglass.com/blog/explaining-different-types-marine-window-material

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Since UV rays are what can damage the plastic, I don't necessarily lean towards the 'better to leave it up instead of storing it' theory. If you don't need to have the canvas and windows up most of the time, they will last longer stored correctly. That means rolled not folded with a protective layer between layers of plastic. I use old soft bed sheets. Store in a not too cold and not too hot space and do not leave the curtains on a boat that is tarped or shrink wrapped.

Personally, I don't know how to tell Strataglass apart from the other good products. Perhaps someone knows what to look for. Thickness is not a a accurate way to tell.

This is the easiest way to tell mine apart from the others,,,,,,,, sorry couldn't resist!!!

And also how mine are stored,,, in the basement, laying flat on a table with old sheets in between.

IMG_1913.JPGIMG_1914.JPG

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the replies gents!! So its Eisenglass, I consulted with the last owner.. Went to West Marine... Used price match (new policy there last year, they will match any price you can find online) purchased some Plexus, it really helped!! This is the one area I will say I miss my pilot house on!!!! But it is sooo nice in the summer to open up!

I am pulling all the reels next week to be rebuilt. About half of them went underwater during Irma and they are starting to really bind up!!! T minus 4 months until the Mahi show up!!!!!!

Fishtales

Reaction score
For the factory Eisenglass, I followed this procedure each year: Cleaned with Meguairs Plastic Glass cleaner, polished with Meguairs Plastic Glass polish and then applied Plexus as a finish coat. I did this for 13 seasons. My glass always looked very good. I had some small scratches from the Eisenglass straps that held the rolled enclosure up, but that was it. The stitching started to rot, I ended up having most of the pieces resewed over the last 5 years. In the end, the zipper fabric rotted (13th season) due to the sun beating on the backside of the boat all these years in the slip. I thought I got a good run out of them and just had a new set made from A&J. I plan to use the IMAR products as I got Strataglass this time.

As for storage. In the early years, I used 4" of PVC sections about 3' long and rolled the pieces around this and stored in my cellar in a large green contractor trash bag on a shelf. Never a problem. Later I stored lying flat with old sheets in between each piece. Either way worked fine, the latter was just easier and I had room in the new house. Just don't fold the glass or allow it to collapse when rolled. If so, you will get a crease in the plastic. You can usually work this out with a hair drier, but it if was for a long period of time you may damage the plastic glass.