Electric Hot Water Heater on my 2002 Islander Just Stopped Working

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The Electric Hot Water Heater on my 2002 Islander just stopped working. Do these units have replaceable heating elements?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Check the element like you would a home's hot water heater, but note that it's 120V, not 240V when you check for power. Checking for resistance is the same idea as checking a home setup, too.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Check the element like you would a home's hot water heater, but note that it's 120V, not 240V when you check for power. Checking for resistance is the same idea as checking a home setup, too.

Thanks for the input. I have always had gas-fired hot water heaters at home, but if the GW unit has removable heating elements, I'll see if I can figure it out.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's pretty straight forward - certainly not rocket science. Anything you find via google about a home's hot water heater element will apply. In a nutshell... test for voltage (make sure breaker is on)... then test for resistance by removing the leads (breaker off), looking for just a few ohms - maybe 10 or so. Anything higher is bad. Typically a shot element will come in at "k" ohms or higher. Often times, you can get a replacement at HD or Lowes.

Last edited:

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I went to the boat today and brought my multi-meter along to do some trouble shooting. I discovered that the high temperature shutoff was stuck off. I gave it a few taps with a screw driver, and the hot water heater is working again.