electric trolling motor for adventure 208

awp

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with installing an electric trolling motor on a 208? In my area there are many marshes and shallow water ponds that beg for that slow quiet approach.

I have done some research and motors that install on the cavitation plate of the outboard or a transom mount with hand steering seem the only options. But, does anyone think that a bow mounting would work considering the handrail and height above the water line?

Reaction score
Trolling motor

I do not have direct experience with a trolling motor on a 208, but, I have used a trolling motor (minn kota) on my Dad's Lund 17 and I own a 208.

I don't think your typical trolling motor has anywhere enough grunt to give you any control over your 208, particularly with any breeze and or tide.

I don't know if there is a way to rig up a small (6-8 HP) kicker that would meet your needs, but I would be amazed if any trolling motor could "motivate" your 208, but if you find one, please share!

8)

Flying Fish

Reaction score
I agree with Jim from Maine, the 208 is a heavy boat. Also, seems to me that the bow and forward deck are pretty high for a trolling motor. For what it's worth, I've never seen such an installation.

FF

awp

Reaction score
I wanted to let you guys know that I recently had a 60 inch motorguide 75 "wireless" electric trolling motor installed on my 208. I checked out the other possibilities of electric trolling props on the outboard or on the trim tabs and decided against them for various reasons. The batteries were installed in the fish box behind the captain's chair, but I may move them more forward soon. It proved to be a challenge to install because of the curved edge on the bow and the hand rails, but when it is stowed there is room to use the walk around on the bow. I have used it several times in different wind and tide conditions and it works well. The only downside I see is that the boat fishtails some even with the outboard down, probably because the motor could not be installed directly over the point of the bow.

I would like to post some pics of how it looks but I don't know how. Anybody able to help with that?

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I wanted to let you guys know that I recently had a 60 inch motorguide 75 "wireless" electric trolling motor installed on my 208. I checked out the other possibilities of electric trolling props on the outboard or on the trim tabs and decided against them for various reasons. The batteries were installed in the fish box behind the captain's chair, but I may move them more forward soon. It proved to be a challenge to install because of the curved edge on the bow and the hand rails, but when it is stowed there is room to use the walk around on the bow. I have used it several times in different wind and tide conditions and it works well. The only downside I see is that the boat fishtails some even with the outboard down, probably because the motor could not be installed directly over the point of the bow.

I would like to post some pics of how it looks but I don't know how. Anybody able to help with that?
Hey AWP,
Still have your 208 or pix of the TM install? I have a 2006 208 and looking to do the same. I would love to see what you did.
Thanks,
Jeff in San Diego

hjbutler

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
A trolling motor would definitely push the 208 in calm and protected areas; I've used them on heavier boats. The engine mount option would be handy but I've noticed that MinnKota has stopped making them!

Reactions: Facially Endowed
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks for the input. Going to be used inshore in San Diego with mainly spot lock for rock fishing and for fishing the bays. Trolling around here is usually offshore with the outboard!

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am following. I have done a little research. Not sure is a 60 inch would work or better off with a 72 inch. Also believe I will need to cut bow rail to make room for deploying and stowing.

Reactions: Facially Endowed
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am following. I have done a little research. Not sure is a 60 inch would work or better off with a 72 inch. Also believe I will need to cut bow rail to make room for deploying and stowing.

A 72" would probably be better if there are swells. There is some really cool bow rail hinge hardware available. Don't have a link but I'm sure you can find it. If I can find the pic again I will post.

Matman

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I installed a Minn Kota Riptide Terrova 72 inch on my 208. Two lithium 12 volt batteries were installed under the port and starboard bilge area in the cabin. Fishing using spot-lock has been a game changer. Will never go back to anchoring or drifting.

Attachments

• trolling1.jpg
    trolling1.jpg
    710.6 KB · Views: 84
  • trolling2.jpg
    trolling2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 86
Reactions: Loon and Mark DV

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I installed a Minn Kota Riptide Terrova 72 inch on my 208. Two lithium 12 volt batteries were installed under the port and starboard bilge area in the cabin. Fishing using spot-lock has been a game changer. Will never go back to anchoring or drifting.
Nice install! @Mustang7565fbk pointed me to your post.

I think I saw some pics of an install in a sailfish, liked the mounting and there was enough room to lay the unit down in the walkway versus up on the cabin or gunwale but that’s a lot bigger boat.

I would probably do the bow mount differently as I have a pulpit and windlass but would think about losing the windlass. Perhaps I could use a motor that does not auto deploy, like a Garmin that also has a radial pivot on the base, although that seems like a nice feature as well, not having to go pull the motor manually every time to move spots.

Does the motor have enough power to hold in a good current or wind with two batteries (around 80lbs thrust?) instead of three? I had not thought of putting the batteries in the forward bilge. Have a pic of that? I wonder if three batteries would fit down there. How did you do your charger?

Last edited:

Matman

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Nice install! @Mustang7565fbk pointed me to your post.

I think I saw some pics of an install in a sailfish, liked the mounting and there was enough room to lay the unit down in the walkway versus up on the cabin or gunwale but that’s a lot bigger boat.

I would probably do the bow mount differently as I have a pulpit and windlass but would think about losing the windlass. Perhaps I could use a motor that does not auto deploy, like a Garmin that also has a radial pivot on the base, although that seems like a nice feature as well, not having to go pull the motor manually every time to move spots.

Does the motor have enough power to hold in a good current or wind with two batteries (around 80lbs thrust?) instead of three? I had not thought of putting the batteries in the forward bilge. Have a pic of that? I wonder if three batteries would fit down there. How did you do your charger?
Agree, the manual deploy trolling motor is less problematic. I have the Minn Kota Terrova. Battery mount, I fabricated to fit in the bilge. That space is rather tight. The batteries are SOK lithium batteries. Hard to describe, but eliminating the short vertical (1”) wall on the angle side of the mount is helpful with battery mounting. Used Anderson plugs to connect the batteries in series. The charger is a portable Noco 10 amp with lithium mode. If you plan on mounting a charger, best to go with a Victron 24V charger. Also need to add a battery balancer, especially with lithium batteries.
Yes, the 80# motor is plenty to hold the 208 on spotlock. Key is the get the 72” and get the prop deep in the water.
My anchor is still accessible, but I haven’t used it once since I got the trolling motor.

Attachments

• IMG_1375.jpeg
    IMG_1375.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1377.jpeg
    IMG_1377.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Reactions: Peter A

seasick

Reaction score
Are the bilge areas mentioned, the port and starboard lockers? Did you cut out the locker mold to exposé the bilge area?

Matman

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
It's the port and starboard locker area and not the centerline bilge. The batteries are about a foot above the "bilge" and not likely to have any contact with water. No cutting of fiberglass is needed.

The battery tray was probably the trickiest part. It needs to be strong enough to hold a 25 pound battery, yet flexible enough to squeeze through the opening. I believe I used 0.024" thick 6061 aluminum. Had it been 1/4" larger, it would not fit.

Last edited:

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
So you fabricated that piece with the sheet metal folding tool. I forget what that is called. I have seen that at the body shop/fabricators. Looks like some work in cardboard to get the dimensions and angles correct before the cutting and bending, and fabricating hold down strap attachments.

Last edited:

Matman

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The tray was fabricated from flat sheet stock using a bending brake (Harbor Freight Special). Very tough learning curve if you haven't bent sheetmetal before. I picked up that skill in aircraft mechanics' school.

Reactions: Peter A