Electric trolling motor installation on 257 Fisherman

Randy white

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Im installing an electric trolling motor (Rhodan, 84 in shaft) and Lithium Pro 36v battery on my 257 Fisherman. Mounting the motor on the bow is a little tricky to avoid the windlass and bow light and to keep the motor inside the rub rail without interfering with bow seating. Any mounting experience, tips, lessons learned or advice?
I’m also installing a Power-Pole Charge to manage charging the house batteries and trolling motor battery by the boat engines and shore power. Does anyone have experience with this? Is anyone aware of compatibility issues between the Yamaha/Grady and Power Pole Charge systems?

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I have a Coastal Explorer 251, that I mounted using a downrigger swivel in the OEM ”Trolling Motor Mount Points”. If measurements or pictures could help for your model, let me know.

Attachments

• 58A1D398-82FF-4C83-99F3-50D8CB8837A7.jpeg
    58A1D398-82FF-4C83-99F3-50D8CB8837A7.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: A&J Outdoors

Randy white

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I have a Coastal Explorer 251, that I mounted using a downrigger swivel in the OEM ”Trolling Motor Mount Points”. If measurements or pictures could help for your model, let me know.
Measurements and photos would be helpful, thanks.

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I just sent you a private message with my contact information. Please feel free to give me a call.

glassman

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I put a 96" Rhodan on my 336 Canyon - made a post August of last year in the Electronics Forum.

We had an aluminum base plate and an underplate made that was mounted on the bow...it worked great and is a VERY STRONG installation. I have talked to others that mounted the Rhodan receiver directly to their bow.

Look for my post if interested...you can private message me also.

Hook1953

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I am looking to add a troller motor to a 251 CE I just purchased. The Grady White mount is pretty expensive. I would love to see how you mounted yours.

Hiflyr

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I have a 2022 GW 257 Fisherman and want to install a trolling motor can any of you post some pictures?
Thanks

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
This is the swivel and disconnect I used:

Magnum Metalz was able to do black anodized as a custom option. I also had Magnum Metalz make a custom deck mount plate to match up the Grady White bolt pattern (which was predrilled for the Trolling Motor option that came w/my boat). The only other part I needed was the plate to mate w/the Minnekota Trolling Motor underside. I brought the swivel, disconnect and old Minnekota plate to a local metal shop.

Below is a url with the pictures from GW Support that detail the Grady-White factory Trolling Motor mount:

Another route you could take is BigJon Sports. At the time I did my boat, BigJon had their “TM2 Mount” which was another robust downrigger swivel and quick-release that could handle a beefy TM.

Hope this helps.

Hiflyr

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
This is the swivel and disconnect I used:

Magnum Metalz was able to do black anodized as a custom option. I also had Magnum Metalz make a custom deck mount plate to match up the Grady White bolt pattern (which was predrilled for the Trolling Motor option that came w/my boat). The only other part I needed was the plate to mate w/the Minnekota Trolling Motor underside. I brought the swivel, disconnect and old Minnekota plate to a local metal shop.

Below is a url with the pictures from GW Support that detail the Grady-White factory Trolling Motor mount:

Another route you could take is BigJon Sports. At the time I did my boat, BigJon had their “TM2 Mount” which was another robust downrigger swivel and quick-release that could handle a beefy TM.

Hope this helps.
Thank you I take it you are happy with the durability of the swivel?

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I am happy with the swivel and quick disconnect. For me the priorities were, (1) not to clutter the gunnels with a TM when the boat is in its sandbar queen profile, (2) a durable install that won’t hurt the boat while fishing (3) easy on and off of TM so the wife is happy.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I am looking to put a TM on my 236 Fisherman. I called Grady and asked about the mount for the 251 CE, but was told by my dealer that mount would cost $1800. Seriously!!?? Does anyone know where they can get the same mount from for a whole lot cheaper?

The single 36V lipo battery would go in the same location as the toilet (a five gallon bucket is a lot easier to use) and the power cables would run along with the windlass wires.

Reactions: ilmmct