Electrical Issues - Grady Sailfish 272

cshep44

Reaction score
I have random electrical issues with my 1998 Grady White 272 Sailfish. Periodically and randomly - while running or sitting anhored with lights on, radio, livewell, washdown, running etc. the main cirucit breaker pops near the batteries and I go dark for maybe 15 mins. I can then reset the breaker under the seat in the stern and everything usually comes back on. I do have to reset the GFI in the AFT Cabin also.

The engines stay running or can be started and my GPS always stays on.

Any ideas what I could check. I changed all the fuses ...

Someone mentioned replacing the circuit break near the batteries as they get tempermental as they age.

Thoughts on what this can be?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you know someone with a DC clamp on current meter you can find out your draw. Say 10A for the lights, 2 for the VHF, 5 for the radio,10 for the livewell, with other small loads you may be up around 30 which shouldn't pop it. Is your inverter on? If the GPS stays on it has it's own feed and wouldn't effect that breaker, why it's separate is another question. That's quite a load, how long do you last on battery or do you have a genny running a charger?

LeapFrog

Reaction score
On my Marlin, the overhead cabinet has it's own separate feed from the battery... the original intent was for the VHF to stay running just in case you main helm feed had issues... my guess is your GPS is on that circuit...

freddy063

Reaction score
OK so your DC helm breaker trips and you losse the helm station items is one thing, check your grounds Battery, under the helm bus ,etc., your GFI AC triping is something eles , but the grounds on both have a common link, check your ground isolater ( spelled wrong) but thats where the AC grounds to the boat ground and connects the common grounding, on my boat it's under the aft cabin walls mounted on a back panel, it's about a size of two bricks . hope thats helps.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
freddy063 said:
OK so your DC helm breaker trips and you losse the helm station items is one thing, check your grounds Battery, under the helm bus ,etc., your GFI AC triping is something eles , but the grounds on both have a common link, check your ground isolater ( spelled wrong) but thats where the AC grounds to the boat ground and connects the common grounding, on my boat it's under the aft cabin walls mounted on a back panel, it's about a size of two bricks . hope thats helps.

So AC & DC grounds are connected?? Makes sense, OP say GFI also trips. Is this a positive to ground short?? My isolator is under the starboard gunnel near the AC receptical. Should it be out of the weather??