Electronic question

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sup fellas slim grady here... I have a gain question.... I have a garmin gps map 420 currently and I found a garmin gps map 498 for sale BUT it's the HEAD UNOT ONLY .. I was wondering if the wore harness is the same since it's both semi new garmin heads.... I'm talking about the connector that stews into the back of the unit... Amy help/feedback would be appreciated.. thanks fellow grady'ites

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Go to the Garmin site. You should be able to compare install instruction and list of parts included. Buy it does look like it will work.

Also I'm skeptical of units without cables. Make sure you are dealing with a reputable person and get the story on why there are no cables.

Attachments

• GPSMAP_400-500_Series_INST_EN.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 0

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Go to the Garmin site. You should be able to compare install instruction and list of parts included. Buy it does look like it will work.

Also I'm skeptical of units without cables. Make sure you are dealing with a reputable person and get the story on why there are no cables.
Awesome thanks hookup1! Yeah I'm gonna ask questions as to why only head unit

seasick

Reaction score
Power cable is the same. Does the 420 have sonar?(420s) .if so, I don't know if your current transducer will be compatible The gimble mount, if you use it, may be a different size and need to be replaced. Does the used 498 doesn't have the mount. The 498 is an older model and depending on how much the used unit costs, you might be better off looking at a new lower end plotter. These things get outdated in a hurry and the new ones even the lower end models are pretty powerful

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd check with the manufacturers site if the cables are different. There may be an adapter cable or at a minimum the instructions to rewire (if able).

seasick

Reaction score
The power cable is the same, no doubt about that. The power cable is one of the easiest things to change as compared to transducer cables. I believe that the 420 also used an external antenna probably on a BNC connector. I am not sure if the 498 has an internal antenna but either way, assuming there is an existing antenna, that should not be an issue.

Slim grady

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So assuming it fits... is this unit considered an "upgrade" from my 420? Since it's a higher number? It's a 498....
I spoke to the guy and he said when it was on boat way back it worked he kept unit in house during winter season the hurricane sandy hit and destroyed boat... He said he forgot about the unit until he came across it in his closet the other day

Fishtales

Reaction score
The power cable is the same, no doubt about that. The power cable is one of the easiest things to change as compared to transducer cables. I believe that the 420 also used an external antenna probably on a BNC connector. I am not sure if the 498 has an internal antenna but either way, assuming there is an existing antenna, that should not be an issue.

That's good news. Usually the manufacturers try to keep things compatible as it is something to factor in the lock-in equation. If you can just do a head swap, most people are inclined to stay with the brand they know and if it can be a direct swap even better!