Electronic steering

patrick16

Reaction score
I am looking at an upgrade from my 2004 257 and I really like the idea of the Skyhook feature for fishing. However, I have heard that the electronic steering can be a lot less reliable than the hydraulic steering. Does anyone have any opinions/insight they can share?

Thanks, Patrick

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
I have the electronic steering on my 2022 Yamaha twin 300hps, it has been great no trouble.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
There are two kinds, electronic over hydraulic (hybrid) and all electric. On my 2019 I have the el/hydraulic and it is sensitive to low battery voltage and with triples I have three separate hydraulic pumps so when one goes out there is a complicated (not only because the units being almost inaccessible) procedure to lock one out and continue with two working pumps..... Not an ideal system but as long as it works it is fine, just keep an eye on it.
The all electric means that you have electric motors at each ram at each motor. It is in theory a good solution with fewer components but it is still electronic so if it goes out there is no hydraulic back up.
That said the old hydraulic system with a power (servo) pump is always working as long as there is no leak in the circuits. The pump makes it powered but without the pump you can still steer albeit using more force.
So now we get to the skyhook, autopilot, joystick etc "candy" with the electronic systems that is all easier to accomplish but it can be done also with the normal power steering (with the pump) but not as neatly as with the newer solutions.

My really only concern with the electronic systems is reliability and lack of back-up in case of failure. It is nice with all the features that come with electric and hybrid systems. In the automotive world we are dealing with a better environment and much larger volumes that hone the new systems and tow trucks are available almost everywhere. The fly by wire steering has not come until recently when the mechanical connection between steering elements and steering wheels has been broken. Have not heard of any real problems in that arena and with self driving cars all of that gets well tested until it becomes mainstream.

Other folks can chime in about the use of skyhook and reliability after more use than I have had just randomly using it for pleasure.

H

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
So far I have had zero problems with the all-electric system, I have and the hydraulic system go out and lost all steering and had to get towed back in. The power steering pump failed and had to steer with brut
force, that is a workout. So I guess anything can break, but having had both, the electric steering is so much better. and the fish point is worth its weight in gold, no more trying to anchor for bottom fishing.

Karen Ann IV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I really like electronic steering over the hydraulic . Its very responsive with no oil leaks. I always had a fine film of oil around my engines. I have a 2021 Canyon and no problems at all

Coastboater

Reaction score
I have the DEC system on a single F250. I ordered it mainly to get the wife to operate the boat more. Her only complaint is she wants to captain more, so mission accomplished :)
There are two settings on my system, regular and heavy. Regular takes 1 finger to steer, heavy takes two fingers. Effortless. I believe it tracks better in no wake zones too, but that may be just the new hull tracking straighter.