Electronics Configuration On Your Marlin

sickday

Reaction score
Anyone have an pics of their custom electronics configuration on their Marlin? I'm waiting to take delivery on a new Raymarine C120W. When I get it, its going to be custom installed (flushmount) on the dash/storage box on my helm. I'm a little worried about the alteration to the existing fiberglass and how it might look after. Once its done its done, theres no turning back. Pics? Thoughts?

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Flush mounted electronics

I have flush mounted my Garmin 4212 and love it. Sorry I have not figured out how to post pictures but if you send me an email I know how to send pics via email.
My email address is:
g0tagrip@bellsouth.net

bc282

Reaction score
not a Marlin, but i recently re-did my Sailfish which is similar to the Marlin's console/dash.

The main display is a 12" Furuno NN3D, to the right of that is a 7" VX1 display that I use primarily as a FF but also as radar and back up plotter.
In the overhead elec box is a 10" VX1 that is primarily used as FF but can also serve as radar and as plotter. I love the 10" up high as i can easily see it from the cockpit when fishing and not have to ask anyone for the FF info or to move so i can have a clear view. also 2 VHF's in the overhead box.
not pictured, but i have since added the GHP10 pilot. It's control head is mounted above the "282" emblem and right of the console cupholder.

If you can mount a second display next to the main one, i'd do it rather than split screen.

P1010014.JPG

P1010016.JPG

P1010015.JPG

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wow! And I thought my package was elaborate. I have 2 10.4 Navs and 2 RD30s. You have a 12, 10, AND a 7. Cool. The one thing I didn't see is a VHF extension speaker. The Standard Horizon 5" is WAY better than most in terms of sound. Mine is mounted in the port upper box hanging over my customer stereo and CD changes.

BTW: How do you like the Autotether?

sickday

Reaction score
Yes the configuration is very close. That looks awsome! Hope mine turns out that sharp. Thanks for taking the trouble to post up the pics.

bc282

Reaction score
thx guys, below are a couple "before" pics.
There was lots of time spent in figuring out how to do it and then time spent to cut, fit, cut a bit more, fit, cut some more, fit, you get the picture. Glad i didn't have to pay anyone by the hour to put it in!
You can also see the storage hatch i also put in behind the console which was recommended by other Grady members and was a great idea. Not just to keep some storage, but i needed the access to do my flush mount install.
There's no going back to what it was before as i had to trim the elec. console area with my dremel so that the 12" NN3D would fit. Had i gone with a 10" VX1/2 or smaller i wouldn't have to do much trimming.
I don't know the size of the C120W, but i think it will not be as tall as the NN3D as it's not "wide" so if the console is similar, minimal trim and the install should be faster. (I sure hope faster than my 3 days! i know i took my time as i didn't want any ooopss).

Helm%20Console%201.jpg.JPG

GP32%20and%201722.JPG

P1010013.JPG

bc282

Reaction score
megabytes said:
Wow! And I thought my package was elaborate. I have 2 10.4 Navs and 2 RD30s. You have a 12, 10, AND a 7. Cool. The one thing I didn't see is a VHF extension speaker. The Standard Horizon 5" is WAY better than most in terms of sound. Mine is mounted in the port upper box hanging over my customer stereo and CD changes.

BTW: How do you like the Autotether?

hi mega,
i don't have any problems hearing my VHF radios (yet) so i haven't bothered to add an extension speaker. I'd imagine that an external and bigger speaker would help to make things sound much better. It only makes sense that you can only get so much decent sound out of a 1.5-2" speaker. Part of the reason i added the Icom 504 as it has a bigger speaker than the 402.
When you add an extension speaker, does it turn the internal built in speaker off?

Fortunately, i have not had to use the autotether, but have tested it and it works well and gives me good peace of mind when i solo boat/fish.
i'd definitely recommend it for anyone that does solo.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm not sure if both speakers are on but the 5" is WAY dominant. It sounds much better and may be easily heard from the cockpit which is helpful if someone is hailing you. Given your expertise the outlay would be only $50 for a great improvement. I had the same speaker on my 272 so I don't even recall how the radio sounds without it but I remember comparing on my 502 and the difference was significant.

sickday

Reaction score
Nice touch on the hatch! I assume its water tight? Where did you find the hardware?

bc282

Reaction score
sickday said:
Nice touch on the hatch! I assume its water tight? Where did you find the hardware?

if you choose to flush mount and close off the console, a hatch is a must.
try to get one in "off white" as it will better match Grady's cream color.
There is a double "hollow" layer of FG in the top of the console to cut thru for the hatch (i used a Tempress 11x15"). You'll need to use some filler strips or wedges in the gap between layers and drill thru for your fasteners and then bolt thru the hatch.
I don't know if its 100% water tight, but i don't worry about hosing it down when i wash the boat but just avoid direct strong straying at the edges.

mega, i wish you hadn't told me that the external speaker was so much better, now i may have to buy and install one myself. Ratz, hoping the constant "fix and add" for the boat was coming to an end.

Shady Grady

Reaction score
Sickday, please post some pics when you are done. I have the same model and year and am considering surface mounting new elctronics as well. Thanks and good luck with the install!

sickday

Reaction score
Shady Grady said:
Sickday, please post some pics when you are done. I have the same model and year and am considering surface mounting new elctronics as well. Thanks and good luck with the install!

will do. The unit is on back order. As soon as its in I'm getting it installed by a pro. Hopefully it will be in soon

Dot-E-3

Reaction score
Marlin 300

I installed Garmin 4212 alongside a Furuno 585 fishfinder on my new Marlin. Plenty of room for both and it looks good. I run everything on the the Garmin (chartplotter/radar/XMradio/weather and fishfinder at 50Khz). I run the Furuno on 200Khz right next to the Garmin fishfinder.

Gary M

Reaction score
2001 Marlin. We flushmounted a single NavNet alongside the original Furuno 582L FF. We took the doors off and had to cut a little bit of the box to open it up a bit. A problem popped up with where the side window frame support mounts to the E/box. The 1/4" thick plastic that we mounted the units on changed the angle of that support and it just would not work! My buddy came up with the idea to cut a "U" shape out of the panel so that the support went right back into its original spot!

Up top, I have the ICOM VHF and external speaker. To the left of the steering wheel I have the Simrad A/P control pad as well as the wired Sony remote pad.

Bimini2009056.jpg

Bahamas027.jpg