Electronics-flush mount or not?

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I will be installing a new gps/plotter and fish finder, separate units this month. I have a 228 with the electronics compartment on the dash which I have my electronics mounted in now on gimball brackets. PIA to carry the stuff back and forth to the boat, small space to work in, stupid hatch cover on compartment you have to leave open all the time to see the screens. I like the look and convenience of the flush mount installs I have seen posted on this site; however I'm not sure I want to leave the units on the boat all the time due to exposure to the weather and possible theft. What was your reasoning/factor's for opting to flush mount vs. bracket install? If you opted to flush mount do you ever remove the unit’s? Do you leave your electronics on the boat over the winter? If so how do they fair?
Thanks,
Pat

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I had flush mounted electronics on the old boat and really liked them.
I was always worried about theft, but to protect against the UV, I just cover the consule with a towel and the hard top kept rain out.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I flushmounted a 10" Lowrance on my 226. Did it not only for the look, but the fact that a 10" screen inside the box meant the top and bottom were cut off. Flush mounted, it was much easier to see....

Its not a difficult project either. Companies like Fin-Addict Marine and Buck Woodcraft will make the panel for you, if you aren't handy or don't have the tools. They will even cut the template for your electronics, as well. All you have to do is remove the plexiglass door, assemble the electronics, and mount the panel.

Here are before and after pics.....

S3500486-copy.jpg

S3500001-copy.jpg

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Due to space, my 226 only had room to flushmount my GPS and VHF. I think flushmounts are great, and if installed correctly most will not ever be stolen...a criminal tried to avoid screws and timely work. I had my FF mounted on a bracket on the left side of the helm, angled twords the captains chair. Since while running I use my chartplotter most, I wanted that in front, and when I slowed I'd use my FF, having it further away made it easier to get on structure while monitoring it I thought. I really only look at it after I slowed at a spot to find the fish. My mounted FF would be taken off after each trip and locked inside the cabin, it did become a pain after time. I always out the electronics covers over the screens to keep them clean and from having the sun on them at all times. I would highly advise to take them off if you winterize and store the boat, LCD crystals are known for having issues from rapid temp changes that can happen under a cover. Not worth taking a chance, that stuff is not cheap.

Brad1

Reaction score
gearadrift said:
. . . stupid hatch cover on compartment you have to leave open all the time to see the screens. . . . Do you leave your electronics on the boat over the winter? If so how do they fair?
Thanks,
Pat

I agree with you on the lid / hatch for the electronics compartment. I immediately recognized it was a poor design so I went with flush mount from the get go. Here's why I say it was a poor design. It's smoked in color. So when it's closed, you can't see the screens on your electronics very well. When it's fully open, it covers the Yamaha guages, When it's open half way, it doesn't want to stay there when your bouncing around on rough water.

I made a flush mount out of 1/2" black starboard. Because the brackets attach from behind the flushmount panel, you have to get into the cuddy to remove them (at least without destroying them).

I store my boat underground (in the limestone mines, 55 degrees year round) during the winter time so I don't remove my electronics. But the manual for my Lowrance says that the LCD can be damaged from extremely cold temperatures (the actual temperature is listed in the manual, but I can't remember what it is). However, removing the electronics for winter storage would be a piece of cake. My Lowrance has two wing nuts for it's bracket. Just undo the wing nuts and the cable connections and out it comes. I also have my VHF radio on that flushmount panel and it's just as easy to remove.

Seahunter

Reaction score
I just went through the same thoughts to install a Garmin 4208.

I looked at the flush mounting it but didn't like the fact that the screen would be perfectly perpendicular. I had several guys come over to look at it and all agreed it was a less than ideal mounting from a viewing perspective.

In the end with a little modification I was able to gimbal mount the unit inside the electronics enclosure at the proper viewing angle. I trailer a lot and the boat is left in hotel parking lots and rental homes drive ways quite often so I like the out of ”site out of mind” factor as well

wilson

Reaction score
i flush mounted, took off the doors and covered with polyurethaned wood. looks great!! going to do the same with the gauge panel and mount weather proof switchs. it's a cross between the traditional bright finished wood and modern flush mounting.

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm going to try and come up with an easy to remove flush mount like Brad mentioned. I don't know when I'll get to it, but I'll be sure to put up pics when I'm done.
Pat

SlimJim

Reaction score
The Flush mount has a much better Look and Feel to it, and using a flush mount in fog or weather conditions is much better IMO.

Seahunter

Reaction score
Looks good. I'm surprised don't have a problem with your compass being mounted so close to those units?

engineersx2

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
when I was trying to decide between flush mount vs. bracket, one of my main concerns was theft. I plan to leave our grady over night a few times a year at a marina that is not quite as secure as I would like (other times it will stay in a boatel). The Grady sales persons thought was; if you flush mount it, it will look better and be harder to steal. He said that if you put it on a bracket, and stepped away from the boat for only a few minutes, someone could come on the boat and within 60 seconds, take it off the bracket.

I could see me leaving the boat unattended for a few minutes while I pay for fuel or use the restroom. For that reason I went with the flush mount and have had no regrets so far. Our grady came with the electronic flush mount kit and it looks good to me.

But have to admit, we have only 5 hrs on the motors so far (just took delivery 2 weeks ago.)

hope to post some photos soon.

I really enjoy the insight given on this web site and the variety of the photos that show up each time I log on.

Ric

2008 232 Gulfstream with twin 150's

leek

Reaction score
Door and recessed or flush?

I just sea trialed and purchased new 225 Tournament today. I did notice the cover, but did not notice the degree of smoking, it looked pretty clear... My Whaler had a removable plexiglas locking door that was a decent design. I would like to have the instruments in from the drawer a little so they were more shaded but not so far in that I had a hard time seeing or operating units. I also liked the security of locking the units away. I wonder if I should try and modify the hardware on the door to be removable?
I am down to Lowrance, Garmin or Furuno combo plotter/ sounder. Have Furuno in a sport fisher so am sort of inclined to go that way. Don't want to hijack the thread but any preferences?