Electronics Update

pgiron

Reaction score
Just purchased a '95 GW 272 Sailfish. It has a sounder and an old Lowrance GPS (lat/long/only no charting) so it needs updating.

Would like charting and fish finder with the ability to later add autopilot and broadband radar.
Recommendations?
Ball park cost?

Thanks.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I wouls tsick to one of the bigger brands, from personal pref, I'd say go withFuruno, top of the line radar unit, excellent quality finder, and very good and reliable gps. You can get all in one units, either a bigger Vx2 series, or a Navnet 3D, navnmet will cost more but is more modern and will last way longer. Raymarine has good stuff, but they have had a lot of issues with screen problems, I know of 14 screens that went back this fall to be replaced, and 2 of them already have issues again....they've been back on the boats for 2 weeks. I know they are more afforable and there are better deals, but with screen issues, that is something that can cut into your fishing time, and something I'd hate to see someone deal with. Garmin has a very easy to use lineup of electronics, there GPS's are top notch and probably the easiest to use. Their radars are good wuality, but not quite raymarine or furuno quality, and their FF are good, but probably one of the lowest on the list that I am giving you. Especially if you fish deepere waters, I've heard of them being less reliable, and I do not feel they show the same detail that the other units do. Simrad is another top quality brand, but expensive for what you get, very reliable and great quality in radar, gps and FF, but Furuno can offer you about the same for a little cheaper, although Simrad's are tough units and built to a higher commercial grade typically. Northstar is another top notch brand, their Radar's are very good, their GPS's are about as reliable as they get and many brands try to match their high standard and fall short. They hold a signal and update quicker then most, their FF are decent, but not quite Furuno or Raymarine wuality, but reliable.

Honestly, the only way to determine what is best for you is first decide what you use the most and what is least important, and then key in on getting the best of the 2 you will use the most. If you are not as good with electronics, getting something simpler might be best for you, and save your money instead of buying all the bells and whistles you might never use. I would also recommend finding a marine electronics store(not a west marine type store) and play around with some of these units and compare them first hand, until you do this you really cannot tel what you will like the most. I would highly advise against getting any touch screens, good luck hitting your target as the boat rocks or bounces off waves, they are fone for 50 or 60ft boats that do not feel as much, but on a Grady they would be a nightmare to operate.

Wrking in the marine industry and working for a larger boat builder who sells to guys who put in upwards of $50-100k in electronics on their boats, I see a high majority with Furuno, Simrad is next and a much smaller percentage with Raymarine and northstar ties. Most of the guys who spend a lot though back up their gps with either a northstar or garmin. The professional teams that tourney fish or fish hard or charter tend to back up the gps qith a northstar for the reliability. Those woners who operate the boat themselves or cruise more tend to add a garmin unit as the secondary since they are a little easier to use.

If you stick with one of these higher end brands, nomatter what you choose, you will have a good setup in the end. Typically your talking about $1500-3000 for the screen depending on size, model and brand. You will add another $500-800 for a sounder black box and then add the transducer, if you go with a thru hull which is the best quality, you are talking possible $400-800, a transom mount will cost less but be nowhere near as reliable. 600w transducer is standard, but I'd recommend going to a 1000w ducer if you can swing the bill. The gps antenna might be included depending on the package and brand, if seperate your talking possibly $300+. A radar will depend on the size you buy and if it is HD or not, a simpler unit will run you maybe $1400, and on open array will top $3500+ typically. If yopu do not run at night a lot or use the radar less, an open array is not needed, but if you venture offshore I would highly advice spending the extra cash.

When I upgrade from the original owners electronics I will likely get a 12" Navnet 3D screen and an open array radar, for the money they are hard to beat, I run them alot at work and on some of the bigger boats I fish and love them. Garmin would be a second runner up, but if I went that route it woudl require a seperate FF, no way would I run a Garmin FF offshore. Furuno has been too reliable for me and too many professional sportfish teams I know or have fished with over the years. Northstar would also get high consideration, their new linup of electronics are awesome and very reliable. In the end, the package price might have some input into my final decision, but unless the prices were cheaper then the Navnet 3D, it would be tough to change my mind. Electronics are far from cheap, and require a bit of research, and remember you plan to keep them for years so you want something that is not a headache to run and will last a long time. Furuno and Raymarine update their software the most and typically the longest allowing them to stay modern a little longer then the rest.

pgiron

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed post. Very helpful.

I like to fish, but am not a die hard. I would probably use radar only at night and don't see myself venturing off shore more than a few miles.
Sounds like Garmin would fit the bill (I have a handheld Garmin GPS for backup) but I was kind of intriqued by the broadband radar and I beleive this leaves Garmin out, doe it not?

Thanks again for all the info,
Ron

pgiron

Reaction score
pix of setup

Anyone have any pix of there 272 electronics in place?
Any tips on where to position, what?
Thanks

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I have a complete Lowrance HDS system installed, two HDS 10s, Sirus Weather Module, HD Radar and a Simrad AP24 pilot. I had a custom pannel made for me to flush mount the HDS10's
http://www.rdtkl.com/images/Fish%20Pict ... 0_4004.JPG

Here is the POC for the custom pannel. He was very fast, did a great job, at a great price.
Scott Cambra
Vector Imaging
(508) 730-2954
www.vectorled.com
scott.cam@verizon.net
scott.cambra@vectorled.com
153 Barnes St Fall River Ma, 02723

All of the electronics were purchased from Jim at BOE Marine and they also did the install.