Electronics upgrade 232 Gulf Stream

darkarcher

Reaction score
Just finished my summer trip to the keys and 3 weeks with the '90 232. This off season I want to work on upgrading the electronics. Back on '09 I posted about repowering or just keep maintaining. The suggestions were to maintain and that is what I have done, much cheaper and really just as effective for what I do. Now I am back for some advice. On electronics upgrades. Right now I have a GPSMAP 210 an old furuno fish finder a lowrance depth gauge and a non working ray marine RL9 radar.

We mainly fish offshore and I am looking for suggestions on what I should consider to upgrade. I only use the boat 3 - 4 weeks a year and I don't need the latest greatest. Also does anyone have any pictures of installed electronics. The current helm layout doesn't seem to accommodate more modern electronics very nicely. I am curious about what others have done.

I am interested in an integrated display that could do the radar chart plotting and FF

Any and all suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Tight Lines

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have Garmin, it has been terrific and I am an offshore fisherman. I have a 4212 which might be too big for your helm, but you could go down to a 4208 or 4210. I also have a GSD 22 bottom sounder, and a GMR 18 Marine Radar, and GNP-10 Auto pilot. Recommend them all. You should shop around and take your time and get what you are comfortable with. Start at the GPSstore.com, way, way cheaper than West Marine.

SouthPass

Reaction score
I have a Garmin 4208 on my 23 gulfstream mounted inside the hatch on dash. I have the GPS, GSD22 bottom recorder, Garmin version for flowscan all connected to this unit. Waiting for old furno radar to kick the
Bucket and will add it too. I like to be able to close it up out of the weather and out of site. Great unit

Chubbiegull

Reaction score
i just installed two simrad nss7 units - removed the old box cover - they fit (barely) using a piece of starboard.one functions as a sounder and the other a plotter - very happy so far - i found you could get two 7s for less than the price of a 12

darkarcher

Reaction score
Any pics of the installations?

Any ideas on buying maybe last years or year before equipment? Hoping to find someone who has recently upgraded and would sell older stuff.

Lucky13

Reaction score
get a garmin 740S its the old model as they came out with the 741XS this year. you can have fish finder gps and radar all in one and it would be a good size for the 232. you will love the unit it works great. I just installed the 741 xs and could not be happier with the unit.

Finatic

Reaction score
I removedthe plexiglass cover atthe helm and fabricated a piece a starboard to fitin the open space. Ithen added a Raymarine 435C chartplotter and Furuno 1715 radar displayin that area. My overhead electronics box holds my furuno fish finder. Ideally I would have preferred to havethe radar display overhead butit was slightly larger thanthe fish finder display andit would not fitin the overhead box.The nice part of havingthe fish finderin the overhead box is that if I amin the back ofthe boat fishing, I still have a great view ofthe fish finder. If you'reinterested I'll try to take a few pics next time I'm atthe boat (probably be 2 weeks).

darkarcher

Reaction score
Thanks Finatic. I would like to see pictures if you get the chance. Thanks again!!

bc282

Reaction score
check out the parts section on THT (http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-forum-90/) as currently there are "complete" systems people have removed to update to the latest greatest or for whatever reason.
IMO, some nice units like Raymarine E120's or their classic C-series, some Furuno VX2 systems, etc. Pretty nice pricing too.