electronics upgrade

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I need help/opinion from electronics experts. Thinking about upgrading my electronics on my 2011 freedom 275. I have a original (2011) Raymarine C120 with 4kw radar. Not sure of the transducer on it. I also have a newer not sure what year Garmin GPSMap 741. I like the Garmin very user friendly touch screen but it is small. I guess my question is can I swap out the C120 for a newer 12" model and use the old radar dome and transducer or should I swap everything out?

Thanks in advance

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
You can likely reuse the radar and transducer with a newer Raymarine, like one of the Axiom models, but may require adapters for the cabling. Have you searched the Raymarine owner's forum? When I was researching for my overhaul I saw a lot of similar questions posted there and if you can't find it just ask and one of the moderators will be able to tell you for certain.

And BTW, I'm very happy with both the 12" Axiom Pro (hybrid touch and tactile control) and the 12" Axiom (touch screen only) I installed this past off-season.

Reactions: SCW

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I upgraded my 2011 raymarine c120 unit to Axiom 12in units in 2017 but I had to change my dsm unit to a CP370. Used my 2011 digital radar without issue. Fowl is right - some new cables and adapters were needed but I can't remember the details.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was researching this last night but most of my old equipment is Furuno. It seemed as if my old radar dome (RSB-0087) is not compatible with newer units based on the forums online.

I would still research it and try to get a unit that is compatible as those domes are not cheap, if you are lucky.

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Thanks guys!

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I upgraded my 2011 raymarine c120 unit to Axiom 12in units in 2017 but I had to change my dsm unit to a CP370. Used my 2011 digital radar without issue. Fowl is right - some new cables and adapters were needed but I can't remember the details.
Max, any regrets on not upgrading the radar as well? It looks like my digital radar and my DSM30 are compatible with a new Axiom. I don't use radar often so not sure I can justify the expense.
You can likely reuse the radar and transducer with a newer Raymarine, like one of the Axiom models, but may require adapters for the cabling. Have you searched the Raymarine owner's forum? When I was researching for my overhaul I saw a lot of similar questions posted there and if you can't find it just ask and one of the moderators will be able to tell you for certain.

And BTW, I'm very happy with both the 12" Axiom Pro (hybrid touch and tactile control) and the 12" Axiom (touch screen only) I installed this past off-season.
Fowl is the only difference between the 2 is that the pro has buttons?

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
ooops now I think dsm30 not compatible ???

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Max, any regrets on not upgrading the radar as well? It looks like my digital radar and my DSM30 are compatible with a new Axiom. I don't use radar often so not sure I can justify the expense.

Fowl is the only difference between the 2 is that the pro has buttons?
No, there are a lot of differences. The keypad is the most visible one, some of the other major differences are the inclusion of a second integrated sonar unit so in addition to the 600W 3D RealVision you get a 1kW dual band capable CHIRP capability and the increased number of connections on the back let it function as more of a core unit for a network setup than just the regular Axioms. Lot comes down to what your total system setup will look like, when I redid mine it made sense to get the Pro given what I wanted to network and include in the overall package. The core processing, display, and functionality is effectively the same as the Axiom.

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
OK called my local marine electronics shop. I am getting the new Raymarine Axiom+ 12 My Radar will be compatible, as will my transducer. If I want to upgrade the radar to latest doppler I can do that down the road. I am going to assume my transducer will not support the 3D and sidescan, but again I can upgrade that at a later date when boat is out of the water. I will let you know my thoughts when I get it installed hopefully next week.
old set up.jpg pic is old set up.

Reactions: Fowl Hooked

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
OK called my local marine electronics shop. I am getting the new Raymarine Axiom+ 12 My Radar will be compatible, as will my transducer. If I want to upgrade the radar to latest doppler I can do that down the road. I am going to assume my transducer will not support the 3D and sidescan, but again I can upgrade that at a later date when boat is out of the water. I will let you know my thoughts when I get it installed hopefully next week.
View attachment 15488 pic is old set up.
Congrats, they're nice units and the flat glass display looks really clean and sharp. Looking forward to seeing a photo when it's complete.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response - been too busy fishing!
No regrets at all about the radar. It works well with the Axiom and makes a nice overlay on the chart. I use the radar mainly to spot other boats and buoys especially in the fog so it's great for that purpose.
Good luck with the new units, you'll love them.

Reactions: JJMag and SCW

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
New Axiom + installed ! So far it is great. Very easy to use! I was able to use my current radar and transducer. Of course I can upgrade those down the road if choose.

Attachments

• axiom.jpg
    axiom.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 5
  • raymarine2.jpg
    raymarine2.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 5
  • raymarine 1.jpg
    raymarine 1.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Fowl Hooked

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I was pleasantly surprised earlier this year when I did the same research - I'm starting with a similar set up, and was happy to see the Radar and Sonar are compatible with the existing C140w. My plan is now to upgrade to Axiom, but probably not for another year or so. I was fearful that nothing would work, and I'd have to go all in on a new system. Nice to hear that it worked for you.