ELECTRONIS

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Garmin 4212 in their top electronics box on a Marlin? Does it fit using the standard Garmin bail mount? What's the largest size machine you fit in your top box?

My Marlin is a 280, what year is yours? Maybe the box is different.

(I ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION. NO, a 12" Gamin has no chance of fitting inside the top electronics box. I would bet money the 10" will not work either. Wanted, 8" Garmin..........)

liinw8

Reaction score
I have a 4212 mounted inside the left hand side in the top electronics box of my new-to-me '99 Marlin, with an older Furuno radar display and a VHF on the right hand side, and an older GPS and 2nd VHF in the console glove box. It's a very tight fit for the 4212, and the screen won't swivel or angle down at all with the tight squeeze so it's kind of an awkward viewing angle. If I were doing the install now, I'd definitely figure out a way to flush mount the 4212 with a custom face plate in the console. I'd like to move it now, but I have too many other projects ahead of that one and it still functions ok where it is now. Also, I'm tall which helps. Let me know if you have any other questions or want to discuss. Regards, Ed.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Thanks Ed! I'll have to see if the 300 marlin e-box is the same size as the 280 marlin e-box. I'll call Grady tomorrow.

Maybe you can cut the bail mount bracket down and rivet it back together. Or 5200 a piece of wood to the roof of the e box and turn the bracket around. EZ fix, it's a 3 beer job.

I just sold my 5215 so I need a Garmin 10" or 12" replacement to go into that top box. Anyone have a Garmin 10" or 12" laying around that they can sell me?

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 4212 but mine is flush mounted which I recommend. I bet there is a way to add it to the helm electronics box. Just thinking of your cross check when using the systems. I think I would have a stiff neck by the end of a couple hours fishing trying to look up.......just thinking of better utility.

dale1

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4MI6FgUYgs

Not sure if this apply s to a marlin? but the 4212 would not fit well inside my box. I fabed the panel out of pleaxi and wrapped it with 3m carbon fiber sick on. It all functions very well. I've carpeted the cubby hole since the video which is better. dale. 265 express