Embarrassing!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I grew up watching rockets and space shuttles head off from the Cape as we watched launches from our house. I saw the Challengwr explode while watching it in real time from my high school. while this is not the same as being in the splash zone, it's not a big deal in my opinion.

NASA says what would have happened if the craft was damaged and how the private boaters could impede rescue. I say poppycock. what if it was damaged and sinking and the guys got out and because private boats are fast and maneuverable maybe being close aids in saving their lives? I was in my buddies 265 fishing and the Space X rocket flew right over our heads with good ole Bob and Doug McKemzie on board. if that rocket were to have failed we were right under it chasing dolphin. it was a cool launch.

NASA needs to either close an area off or give coordinates to avoid. however, I think having the boats there adds to their margin of safety not reduce it. besides embracing boaters seems like a good PR move plus it's cool seeing that tech up close. I would think NASA in this political climate would want more support not less.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The stories said exactly that - that they needed to control the landing zone, but were unprepared.

Still, your drone won't help the fire service when you fly it near the wildland blaze, and IMHO, it's a great idea to steer well clear of any quasi-governmental agency (SpaceX, NASA, etc) that is landing a multi-ton capsule with human beings aboard...

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don’t know the details, and I’m not going to read the article but I will say this the media way over sensationalizes everything.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I believe that creating a legal restricted zone outside 12 NM. which this was, is difficult and the USCG can't do that very easily. It may be that the storm changed the splash down target at a late hour and that had something to do with the lack of security. The USCG had no legal authority to stop private vessels from entering the area. They can board any stateless or US flagged vessel, but that was the extent of their authority in this case.