Engine Box Insulation/Sound Proofing

UpGrady

Reaction score
I am considering putting in some sound proofing inside the engine box on my 25 Sailfish. The 470's can get pretty loud. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have found several options with a PSA backer that is temperature rated up to 500 degrees.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Many good manufacturer's use "egg-crate" foam. And that works well and is relatively inexpensive. But a better option is "MLV" - Mass Loaded Vinyl. Basically, this is foam with a layer of lead in between. You can get MLV in thin sheets by itself and this is certainly an improvement. But putting the MLV in the middle of the foam increases it's effectiveness greatly. Not so much because of the actual foam (although that does help), but because the MLV is "free" to vibrate whereas if it's tight against fiberglass, some of that vibration will still transmit through. It will still help to stop the actual sound, but not so much the vibration.

hansk

Reaction score
Look into Soundown, I know Jamestown distributors sells it not sure who else. Composite foam and vinyl with adhesive backing, you should use a few fasteners though. Supposed to work great, there a lot of threads about it on other boating sites.

UpGrady

Reaction score
Thx guys... I did look at Sounddown... I ended up going with a similar product from American Micro Industries with a PSA backer and I will use clips.... $150 for everything shipped to my house.