Engine bracket removal on seafarer 228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Can anyone help me with how to remove engine bracket on my seafarer228 do I unbolt through the access hole on the bracket or do I need to remove the live well and access the bolts from there?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
When you look in the access hole, do you see bolt heads or nuts? You'll remove the nuts - whatever side of the bracket they're on. If you're lucky, the bolts won't turn, otherwise you need a second set of hands on the other side. And, reseal the bolts through the transom when you're done.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Th
When you look in the access hole, do you see bolt heads or nuts? You'll remove the nuts - whatever side of the bracket they're on. If you're lucky, the bolts won't turn, otherwise you need a second set of hands on the other side. And, reseal the bolts through the transom when you're done
When you look in the access hole, do you see bolt heads or nuts? You'll remove the nuts - whatever side of the bracket they're on. If you're lucky, the bolts won't turn, otherwise you need a second set of hands on the other side. And, reseal the bolts through the transom when you're done.
Thanks but I haven't had look yet as I plan to start the work next weekend, and was looking for advice in preparation.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You'll know the answer as soon as you look - it's pretty obvious. What I mean is, if the nuts aren't inside the bracket, then they can only be one other place. It's not like they'll be hard to find. I think you're thinking too much on this one! :)

Some brackets have the bolts on the outside of the bracket... are you sure yours are on the inside?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Bolt heads on mine are located inside behind livewell, nuts in the bracket. IMG_1557.JPG

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Perfect thanks for that I can now be a little prepared for the weekend as I hit a sun fish during a local tournament and need a new bracket.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 79
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 78

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Wow, lucky you still got the outboard there!
On mine nuts are behind the livewell.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That bracket took a good hit to break it. Like wrxhoon said, lucky your motor is still there.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wow, lucky you still got the outboard there!
On mine nuts are behind the livewell.
That bracket took a good hit to break it. Like wrxhoon said, lucky your motor is still there.
Perfect thanks for that I can now be a little prepared for
the weekend as I hit a sun fish during a local tournament and need a new bracket.
Yes very lucky to have the outboard still attached thanks for the information about the bracket.

UCPA111

Reaction score
What do you intend to replace the bracket with? Just curious.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
These brackets are very well made, I wonder if the extra weight of the Honda contributed to it. Looks like you have an old 228 originally fitted with a much lighter 2 stroke, correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
These brackets are very well made, I wonder if the extra weight of the Honda contributed to it. Looks like you have an old 228 originally fitted with a much lighter 2 stroke, correct me if I'm wrong.
The seafarer is a 2007 model it originally had a Yamaha 250 four stroke with 2400hours on it when I traded it for the Honda. Gas is very expensive here in Australia and the difference between the Old Yamaha which burnt 13.6 litres per hour at troll speed to the Honda which at troll speed now burns 6.9litres per hour. The New Honda's compared to the old 2007 model Yamaha weight wise is similar(592lbs dry for the Yamaha and 609lbs dry for the 2018 Honda)

Reactions: Heyspike

wrxhoon

Reaction score
If that's the case weight doesn't come in to it. I never seen on of these brackets break, even the finish on them is excellent.
I'm in Sydney , where are you at? Do you have a hardtop?
You are going to have to remove the live well to install the new bracket even if the nuts are on the outside of the transom.
I think if I was you I would re-use the same bracket but I would have it reinforced with extra aluminium plate.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If that's the case weight doesn't come in to it. I never seen on of these brackets break, even the finish on them is excellent.
I'm in Sydney , where are you at? Do you have a hardtop?
You are going to have to remove the live well to install the new bracket even if the nuts are on the outside of the transom.
I think if I was you I would re-use the same bracket but I would have it reinforced with extra aluminium plate.
I fish out Bermagui on the south coast, we are from north of Melbourne and Yes it is a hard top. Thanks for the advice I will renew the live bait pump whilst I have the tank out.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I fish at Bermi when the bluefin are on, last year we got them in Bermi and Sydney. Look out for me this winter in you go up. I know another guy from Melbourne fishes Bermi with 228 .
I bought a 2013, 228G hardtop in FL, she will be leaving Jacksonville tomorrow . She will replace my current 228 soft top, should arrive in Port Kembla 11th March.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I fish at Bermi when the bluefin are on, last year we got them in Bermi and Sydney. Look out for me this winter in you go up. I know another guy from Melbourne fishes Bermi with 228 .
I bought a 2013, 228G hardtop in FL, she will be leaving Jacksonville tomorrow . She will replace my current 228 soft top, should arrive in Port Kembla 11th March.
Sounds good did you go over to inspect it personally or did you go through a brokerage?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I found the boat for sale on the net , then engaged a surveyor to inspect and report. I bought several boats from USA before this .
If it was on the west coast I would fly over but I can never find anything on the west.