engine control cable rigging question on a 223 tournament

suzukidave

Reaction score
has anyone rigged a sidemount control on a 223 (or similar) just aft of the binnacle spot and run the engine control cables through the upper cable tube that is right under the gunnels and that seems to only carry the washdown hoses? i would need to cut a hole slot in the roof of the bilge for the cables to feed properly into the tube but it looks like it would work.

the boat presently has a 1994 evinrude with the original omc binnacle mounted. it has seen better days.

i bought an etec 200 which comes with a nice nearly new sidemount control box and nearly new cables. after some thinking about it i decided to discard the old omc binnacle and cables and mount the sidemount just aft of where the binnacle shelf is now, and use the spot where the binnacle control is now for a view screen display for nmea, leaving the analog gauges as they are.

but then i started looking at the cable run and realized the engine cables normally feed through a lower rigging tube that comes up right below the binnacle. if i used this routing i'd have to rig them to run backward and then forwards to the back of the sidemount control, and a long length of cables would end up getting twisted under the coaming.

so now i am thinking of just deleting the washdown cubby hole faucet in the coaming (mine is broken anyway) and using that upper tube for the control cables (i can still run all the wiring through the lower rigging tube).