Engine cover on a mooring?

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Anybody have an opinion about this...is it desirable to use a Yamaha engine cover if your boat lives on a mooring? I could see the protection from the sun being helpful, but I could also see the thing getting wet and salt encrusted and thereby causing more harm than good.

Thanks - I hope you are all surviving winter and our uplifting economy...

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Good question, I would also like to hear if anyone out there has used one for years and if so any problems??

I have avoided using one assuming that it would hold moisture within and could possibly cause corrosion issues. That said by the time I sold my last boat with a 1995 Yamaha 200 in 2007 the Yamaha decal was completely faded. NBD but it looked like crap when the rest of the boat was like new.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Tashmoo - I figured you would have this one worked out already! I know its not the most burning issue in the world, but frankly I am clinging to the idea of summer coming again someday and the boat is all I can think about right now... I looked out the window this morning and saw the harbor starting to freeze. There's about 10 more feet of current before the ice gets over my mooring!

Plus we could use a little more chatter on this site...its been quiet lately.

GWcpa

Reaction score
I'd spray the cowl off with the fw shower, towel dry and use the Yamaha cover.

If is going to fade if you don't and that is the purpose of the cover. I'd do it. It bothers me to leave my boat uncovered. :lol:

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the yamaha cover and use it whenever I am away from the boat for more then a day or two, it has not held moisture and it drys very fast if wet. It is treated to repel water, and the inside of mine has not gotten wet or held water that I have seen since it has a draw string to pull it tight around the engine, plus it tightens where the engine is tapering down so water is already dripping off before it gets here. As long as the cover does not rip you would be fine. The cover might need to be reteated over time with a water repeleant product that would be used by sunbrella or a similar fabric to keep it water resistent. Mine have been on the boat two seasons now and still repel water, plus they keep the decals from fading and the engine shinning much better. I have not had condensation on the engines on cooler days where it gets wram or vise versa either. I have no complaints about them honestly. You should be fine using one, a bunch of guys in my marina use them and if you look, their engines and mine all look much better then any others in the marina. I'd use them if I was not using the boat for a few days at a time, especially if a newer boat/engine.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That is very helpful - sounds like I am getting one. We have a full canvas cover that goes from the windshield all the way to the transom, and I love how it keeps the boat clean and keeps the sun off. As long as it doesn't trap moisture and scuff the motor it makes sense to me...

Thanks guys!

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I don't have a cover but I wax my entire cowling every season, it holds an awesome shine, really brings out the depth in the colors, water beads, no fading, bleaching, etc. Looks pretty darn good, IMHO :wink:

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Excellent point...I should be doing this either way. don't know how my wife will react when I say I am going down to the boat to "wax my cowling..." :roll:

jethro99

Reaction score
Very desireable to use a cover if you have mud/dirt daubers in your area. I have seen powerheads almost ruined when these critters built homes on various parts of the power head. A cover will prevent if not stop them from getting under the cowling.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
sounds better than 'going to buff my cowling' or 'have someone buff my cowling for me' . That one may get you in trouble w/ the mrs's.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I second a good coat of wax, but that should be done regardless. I wax it twice a season, once at the beginning, and one time mid season. Remember, take the old wax off with a hull cleaner or something similar, leaving old wax on will yellow your engine decals and cover, it will haze over time, that is why over waxing can be bad too.