Engine Failure - 2005 Yamaha F250

lgusto

Reaction score
We spent an awesome day fishing in the Gulf of Maine on Jeffreys and Platts banks yesterday but 5 minutes into the ride home something broke in the motor or lower unit. Six hours and 30 miles later SeaTow pulled us into Fort Popham. Thank goodness for my membership, right?

Anyway, my F250 is disabled and our good friends at Port Harbor Marine in Portland will be picking up the boat ASAP.

In terms of diagnostics, the motor had a funny whine for about a minute or two before a very loud clanking began. I shut it down right away. The only thing we did differently yesterday was spend several hours with the motor tilted up – I was using a drift sock and having the motor up helped to keep the bow into the wind. All the basics are fine – fuel, oil, electrical, belts, etc. There’s nothing obvious broken under the cowling, no smoke, no leaking oil.

There's 1,100 hours on the motor and we had the full 1,000 hour maintenance performed this winter. Any thoughts from anyone on possible causes of the failure?

Thanks and Happy 4th!

seasick

Reaction score
probably something in the powerhead, perhaps a crank bearing or a rod. It doesn't soung good.

jellyfish

Reaction score
thats a very bad sound. Bad news. I hope not but thats the sound of a rod or power head going south. I wish you the best.

no problem

Reaction score
I'm going to be an optimist and guess lower unit. Shift into neutral and turn the prop to see if there's any crunching or grinding in the lower unit. Or drain the gear oil to see if there's metal in the oil. Good luck!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It might be worth making a claim on your marine policy....if its covered then you are only out the deductible.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Way too high unless 100% new.

Get the price on a 100% new lower unit, not rebuilt. I'd pay that for 100% new with old one returned for core credit.

If it was a powehead, double that and more.

Did they find the lower unit gear box fill and drain plugs in place or missing?
When did you say the lower unit was last serviced? And by who?

lgusto

Reaction score
Bob,

The $4k price is for 100% new and associated labor, shipping, etc. A Yamaha factory rebuilt is about $700 less. An SEI rebuild is only $800 but I'm wary of that approach. I'm opting for a brand new one since the engine has "only" 1,100 hours.

All the lower unit plugs were intact but the oil level was less than half full. No water inside at all.

My tech believes the oil retention seal leaked but the water seal remained intact.

We considered the possibility that my last service tech may have not completely filled the unit, but I've put about 200 hours on the boat since then including 6 or more long distance (60+ round trip miles) journeys. The consensus is that the lower unit would have failed very early if less than half full of oil.

Any other ideas or suggestions? Can anyone see how this might fall under an insurance policy?

thanks

no problem

Reaction score
That sei unit is 100% new not rebuilt and includes water pump. If they make one for your motor. just my $.02. Good luck!

3rd Day

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, an isurance claim would be for striking an object and causing damage. Like wrecking a car. my .02 worth.

Average Joe

Reaction score
In 99 I had a lower unit failure on a 115 hp Mercury. State Farm covered it as a "collision" and sent me a check to cover repairs less my deductable.

Cost then was a little over 3k for a new lower unit installed so I would say the price you got was about right in today's money and considering it's almost twice the motor.

Bama96

Reaction score
200 hours since last service? I change my LU oil when I change my engine oil at 100 hours. No chance of an insurance claim due to it being a failed seal. They won't cover mechanical failures. Glad it was not the power head.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bama96 said:
200 hours since last service? I change my LU oil when I change my engine oil at 100 hours. No chance of an insurance claim due to it being a failed seal. They won't cover mechanical failures. Glad it was not the power head.

Exactly what I was thinking.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'g go for that deal, use someone else for work next time.

Lower units are solid, no water gets in/oil gets out, they are energizer bunnies forever.

Put it behind you, just use another mechanic next time. One reason I do such jobs myself, leave a screw loose and it's all over. Then they put screw in when they haul it, and put up hands and say "not me".

Not that it happened here, but it can never happen when I do it myself.
As in absoletely impossible.

Had similar dealer experience, then found milkshake in gearbox end of season, went to another dealer he said drive shaft was galvanic pitted at seal area and can't hold a seal ever, former mechanic replaced seal and never held. never had a milkshake condition in same year. Caught it in time myself, otherwise 1200 bananas (at the time).

So much for OMC certified mechanic. I bet making pizzas today that suck.

I like milkshakes to drink, nothing more.

When you get new gearbox, I think you may be expected to have 10 hr gearbox fluid change (as new motor), make sure you have dealer do it and keep receipt.

lgusto

Reaction score
Well, here's what may be the closing chapter in the story. My insurance company (travelers) agreed the failure might be covered if it was the result of a fouled line so they had the old lower unit surveyed. The professional surveyor's opinion was that the unit was never refilled with oil when it was serviced at the end of last season. (note to those of you who change your LU oil frequently - it's nice to have a trailerable boat so you can pull it whenever you want - one more plus in the "trailer" column I suppose)

So, it's back to the dealer now to see if they will concur with the surveyor and offer some compensation. Moral of the story - check your mechanic's work whenever possible before splashing the boat.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I am reading this thread late and I gotta say one thing. You ran that boat hard for 200 hours based on your description here and it ran for 200 hours without any lower unit gear oil :shock: Think about the upside of this, that is one tough gear case. I am very sorry for your troubles, but I am also impressed with how the lower unit held up under those conditions, kind of impressive. So, did the service folks pony up for a new one?

lgusto

Reaction score
end of story....the surveyor changed his tune when speaking with the dealer. together they agreed it was a failed seal that ruined the lower unit. live and learn......check your mechanics work no matter how reputable the dealer because proving fault is nearly impossible.

on a brighter note, the weather and the fishing have been awesome this year. hope the same is true for everyone else.