Engine Flush

brown6512000

Reaction score
Hi - I have a 1995 Evinrude Intruder 150hp outboard and I was wondering how often I should flush the engine with fresh water? i use the boat once a week in the long island sound. thanks

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mr Brown, I flush my Yamaha f 200 after every salt water trip with Salt Away. Cheers trapper

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's always best to flush after every trip.

Back in the old days when I kept a boat at a wet slip in Niantic, engines were only flushed at the end of each season. After about 5 years, problems started to pop up with most of them.

To keep an older 2-stroke engine going for as long as possible, flush every time, use good oil, don't let the fuel get stale, and decarb at least once a year.

fellinger

Reaction score
I always run fresh through mine after each trip. 1995 200hp Johnson's.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
Not flushing <<<<<<< Flushing occasionally/when possible <<<<<<<<< Flushing every use

Our Sailfish 282 is on a mooring, and we flush a few times a season when the motors are hot and we end up on a dock with access to fresh water at good pressure.

Flushing every use is the lawyers talking, but as with most other maintenance topics, your mileage (and definition of "use") will vary.

Bob.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I flush my Yamahas after every use.

I have heard commercial guys (construction operators, Tow Captains, etc.) say they never flush their OB's and they get thousands of hrs of use out of them. They use them on a regular basis, sometimes every day and therefore the salt doesn't have the down time to crystallize and solidify within the block & thermostats.

I don't use my boat that often, and prefer not to risk any more corrosion than occurs naturally anyway. I flush on my lift after every trip. It doesn't take that long and I believe my engines are the better for it.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Flushing every use is the lawyers talking, but as with most other maintenance topics, your mileage (and definition of "use") will vary.

It's 'why the hell not' talking. There's two things that could happen - nothing, or it helps keep the corrosion down. Pretty good odds ... :sorry

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok, who flushes with the hose attachment and engine running? Not recommended in the Yam owners manual but I think that's the only way to get all the water galleries. I'm betting they are CYA because there's always the knuckle-head that will wick the throttle and burn-up the water pumps.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are going to flush with the engine running, use earmuffs only. If you are worried about salt build up, use Salt-Away one or twice a season. Stuff works.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Sharkbait282 said:
Flushing every use is the lawyers talking, but as with most other maintenance topics, your mileage (and definition of "use") will vary. Bob.
:jaw
What?
I don't know about you but I don't have a lawyers budget being able to throw big money at problems. Flushing with fresh water is free, engine damage and repairs aren't. I take that 10-15 minutes to flush my engine after every use. If you buy new and trade in after a couple of years its the next guys problem but if you hang onto stuff like I do you learn to take care of it.
Maybe that's why I got 25 years of use out of a crappy Force 125, that was still running strong when I sold it. It was 3 years old when I bought it too.
I also have a '96 Mariner 25 that is running strong.
Don't cut corners, flush after every use.
On my Suzuki I flush using the hose attachment engine off. Fresh water spews from every orifice. I hook it up and let it flush while I put everything else away, clean fish, etc... no extra effort at all. Afterward I give the boat a quick rinse.
Mike.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
I think my point was that boat owners who aren't blessed with full time access to fresh water need not avoid boat ownership or Yamaha outboards entirely, due to inability to flush each and every use.

Flushing when possible is a good practice. If I were on a dock full time, it would get flushed each use.

I don't quit boating because I can't flush each use, and no, I don't abuse my toys or consider them disposable.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Sharkbait282 said:
I think my point was that boat owners who aren't blessed with full time access to fresh water need not avoid boat ownership or Yamaha outboards entirely, due to inability to flush each and every use.

Flushing when possible is a good practice. If I were on a dock full time, it would get flushed each use.

I don't quit boating because I can't flush each use, and no, I don't abuse my toys or consider them disposable.
SB gotcha, I'd just say that with X amount of hours spent out on the water you can make the 10 minutes time it takes to flush an engine.
MagicalBill no waters muddied and you make a good argument on running vs static flushing. I'd say run it when you can and static flush when its late and the neighbors wouldn't appreciate hearing the crackling of a big un-muffled OB. Just never wing the engine when on the muffs.
On the tow guys never flushing, I think what makes them different is that they use their engines everyday. Like most everything else, cars campers, etc... damage/corrosion does its worst when the engine is in storage if not prepped for it. The longer the salt stays on the worst it'll be.
Use it everyday and the salt won't do its worst. It doesn't get a chance to cake up.
SB, ok with that said if your plans were to use the boat two consecutive days (sat, sun) I'd concede and say it'd probably ok to skip the first day and flush after the last days trip (sunday). I would still spray the boat down with fresh water after each trip though.
The best flushing method I use but it only works with a smaller OB (the 25) is to flush it on the trailer with it sitting and idling in a trash can or tub filled with fresh water.
No worries that its not getting enough water and its also a lot quieter. It isn't an option for the 225.
Mike.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
When I received my Grady I had to pump acid through the cooling system because of limited flushing/limited use. You should have seen the white crap that came out of the motor and the amount of scale in the tstat housings. I should have done before and after shots. No more alarms! I would flush every time if its a weekend boat.

seasick

Reaction score
Take a pot, add some salt water form your boating area and cook it. When the water evaporates it leaves the salt crystals. My point is that when you shut down the motor after a trip, it is hot and that makes the internal saltwater that hasn't drained down evaporate faster. The salt is left behind. Maybe it will dissolve next use or maybe crystals will grow. I don't know but I always flush and I have to say that when I change t-stats, there is little if any crystal buildup.
Today after a few hours fishing trip, I flushed for only 5 minutes and actually felt guilty!