ENGINE FLUSHING

Bumpye

Reaction score
I know Yamaha and the dealer recommends flushing the engine after each use (salt water). I've never seen anyone do it at the marina I'm at. Has anyone had any issues NOT flushing the engine. The Yamaha 225 has a flush port right under the cover, so it's not difficult to do.

seasick

Reaction score
Bumpye said:
I know Yamaha and the dealer recommends flushing the engine after each use (salt water). I've never seen anyone do it at the marina I'm at. Has anyone had any issues NOT flushing the engine. The Yamaha 225 has a flush port right under the cover, so it's not difficult to do.
I flush after every run. My motor has been fresh water flushed for 15 years and there is very little salt buildup in the cooling chambers.
Yamaha recommends flushing with the motor off but I have seen it done both off and idling. I think there is more risk than gain flushing with the motor running but I am sure others have different opinions

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
On the coast in New England we keep our boat on a mooring, so "flush every use" was a question I put to my local Yamaha expert. His perspective was that "flush every use" is an ideal circumstance and is typical of a corporate owner's manual language. There's a ton of experience and history of the F225 documented on the web, and overall the priority as I read it is

1) more engine use is better than less use which is better than intermittent use, which is better than neglect, and
2) some flushing is better than no flushing.

So with our 282, I try to flush any opportunity that I get time on the dock when the motors are already warmed up. It ends up being at least once or twice a month, and my mechanic didn't express any particular concern with that, provided that some flushing is happening, and we're also keeping up with the power head anodes.

If you do review the manual for flushing procedure, it does specifically state "not while running" and that the motors should be partially tilted up during flush using the fitting on the cowling. So I definitely don't flush while they're running.

This is an opinion piece, your mileage may vary (wait, my mileage may vary!)

Bob.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I trailer my boat, so flush every time I come out of the salt. I have found by using Salt Away, it cuts my flushing time to a little over a minute or two. As recommended by the makers of the product, leaving the flush away mix in the water jackets of the engine ( what ever does not drain out). I have found over the years this to be the best way of keeping my outboards free of any salt build up or residue. I usually mix enough to also give the brakes a good spray. I also have a pump up sprayer with Salt Away I use on the brakes (disk) and springs in the parking lot on launching. Cheers, trapper

Bumpye

Reaction score
Thanks again for all your responses. I purchased the boat last summer and it's a 2003 with 300 hours. I don't know if the previous owners did it but it certainly can't hurt. Any flushing is better than no flushing.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
You have to hose the whole boat off, so there's no downside to it. I let mine idle for a while at low tide in the MR also.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Does anyone know if this was recommended by Suzuki, flushing while not running, for the DT motors?
That's what I have and I have been unable to get anything close to an owners manual for my '03 DT225.
I've been flushing both ways using the "muffs" and while not running off the cowl fitting.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've always flushed, but I know others on moorings that can't. No issues either way to report.

seasick

Reaction score
Lt.Mike said:
Does anyone know if this was recommended by Suzuki, flushing while not running, for the DT motors?
That's what I have and I have been unable to get anything close to an owners manual for my '03 DT225.
I've been flushing both ways using the "muffs" and while not running off the cowl fitting.
In general running off of the muffs with the motor running is OK. There are a few motors that you need special muffs. In addition, if the water pressure and/or volume is too low, overheating is possible. If the motor has a telltale (pee stream() and on muffs and running, if the telltale looks as strong as it does in the water and exhaust water is looking relatively normal , then running on muffs muffs is OK.

The question of running while flushing applies to flush ports. Some manufacturers state that running the motors using the flush port if fine.(Etecs are one) Others like Yamaha say otherwise. In addition to the possibility of overheating, in some cases the water pump may get starved for water and therefore run dry and that will wear it out.
Fresh water flushing even with the motor off is still a far better practice than not flushing at all.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I guess for my old Suzuki I'll run it on the muffs or flush it off the ports while shut down.
Or better yet as I trailer I plan to further explore my fishing options on the Delaware River. Its 15 minutes to saltwater and 40 to the Delaware.
With the exception of boat wakes, the Delaware is flat calm, much to my wife's liking and the best part is that you could say the whole trip flushes the motor.

seasick

Reaction score
Lt.Mike said:
I guess for my old Suzuki I'll run it on the muffs or flush it off the ports while shut down.
Or better yet as I trailer I plan to further explore my fishing options on the Delaware River. Its 15 minutes to saltwater and 40 to the Delaware.
With the exception of boat wakes, the Delaware is flat calm, much to my wife's liking and the best part is that you could say the whole trip flushes the motor.
Mike,
Here is the official recommendation from Soziki

Use a quality "ear muff" style flushing adapter that fits on the lower unit water pick-up (or flushing port when available), and run your engine at idle speed (in neutral) for at least 5 minutes to flush out any salt. Your owner's manual will give you more information (including important safety precautions) on this procedure.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
seasick said:
Lt.Mike said:
Mike,
Here is the official recommendation from Soziki

Use a quality "ear muff" style flushing adapter that fits on the lower unit water pick-up (or flushing port when available), and run your engine at idle speed (in neutral) for at least 5 minutes to flush out any salt. Your owner's manual will give you more information (including important safety precautions) on this procedure.
Thanks. I've been trying to find an owners manual for my motor for two years now. No luck and Suzuki customer support s*cks.
I have a '96 Mariner 25 and I had no trouble getting one or anything else for that motor.
Mike.
EDIT: As if to prove me wrong after making the above post I went back on Ebay did a search once again for a owners manual and actually found one!
It's for an '01 while mines an '03 but they are the same and I don't think I'll do better so I grabbed it.

moklodge

Reaction score
I was one of the "flush as often as you can but no big deal if you can't" people for a long time. In fact, engines didn't really even have flushing capability until the late 90s so all those years it wasn't a concern. Why should it be now? Well last year, I saw the head apart on a Yamaha 4-stroke V-6 and the salt buildup in the cooling passages was incredible. Almost closed off completely in places. Although it may not cause a failure (there is an over heat alarm), it no doubt affects the running temp and I would think the efficiency as a result. That and they have head zincs since that late 90s timeframe that may hold up longer when flushed regularly, preventing both the salt buildup buildup and the corrosion to these zincs.

I would say do it as often as you use the boat, if possible.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Last year I saw a FRESH water engine that was all clogged up as well. Very surprising. The lake must have been loaded with hard water.

seasick

Reaction score
Harpoon said:
Last year I saw a FRESH water engine that was all clogged up as well. Very surprising. The lake must have been loaded with hard water.
Its hard to predict what the cooling chambers might look like so every now and then ( yearly to every several years depending on what you find) pull the t-stats and take a look see. If there is a lot of buildup, you should deal with it either by treatments or by changing your maintenance ( such as regular flushing)

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I rigged up a simple Y-hose with quick connects so I can easily flush my twin F250's (I put the matching quick connects on the engine flush hoses too). As soon as I dock, I pop the hose on and flush for 5-10 minutes while I get everything squared away and then I wash off the boat.